It runs in the family

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lexiih36

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to fishkeeping. I currently have 10 Harlequin Rasboras, and it's been stressful. I've had my tank about a month (my tank cycled really quickly due to a presence of nitrates being in my tank water, so it took off pretty quickly). The 4 remaining from the original batch of 6 I bought seem to have adjusted these 2 weeks, so I bought 6 more today. They look way better in the tank. They seemed very lonely in my 20 gallon lol.

I have nothing to say about them tbh. But I was talking to my mom about the hobby, and I found out that she's actually really into fishkeeping too. I was a foster child, so I didn't actually get to grow up with my mom. I met her when I turned 17. She also lives no where near me, so despite us knowing each other for nearly a decade, our relationship is ok, but we still don't know much about each other.

It's pretty cool finding out just how much genetics plays a part in your personality. Despite how badly things started off (I killed 5 fish so far, please pleae drip acclimate you fish and don't dump a **** ton of baking soda in to raise pH lol), I've actually been really enjoying it. Plus now we have something to bond over!

Fish Keeping for the win!

Pic just cuz.

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_135004.jpg
    IMG_20220401_135004.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 42
It could be cultural, or it could be how our minds work. My Mom kept fish, my grandparents were both fishkeepers, and my great grandfather apparently bred and raised goldfish in tubs behind the tenement he lived in.
The other side of the family were fishers from Newfoundland, so they didn't play with their food.

I wouldn't know if it was cultural. I don't know very many African American fish keepers. Reptiles, sure. But definitely no one I can chat about fish keeping with.

I've actually found that I have a lot in common with both of my parents though I didn't grow up with either. My dad and I are both into investing lol. I think we can actually pass down hobbies and interests to some extent

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back