ISO: Tadpoles

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
Hey friends,

Last year I did a Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar project with my (then) 2 year old, where we successfully raise and released 12 Monarch Butterflies. I intend to do this again this year as well.

In addition, I though it would be SUPER neat to also raised tadpoles for a local native frog species (ie. not bull frog). I was thinking either the American Green Tree Frog or Leopard Frog.

Does anyone know how I can get a hold of these tadpoles for cheap or free? I'd love to do this "experiment" with our son and also make a positive contribution our ecosystem. I've done some googling to no avail (everywhere I have looked wants a $20-40 for tadpoles). If it helps, my location is Peoria, IL.

Last year I did a Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar project with my (then) 2 year old, where we successfully raise and released 12 Monarch Butterflies. I intend to do this again this year as well.
I do that to! I love raises them. Do you raise them from the caterpillars? Or from the chrysalis?

In addition, I though it would be SUPER neat to also raised tadpoles for a local native frog species (ie. not bull frog). I was thinking either the American Green Tree Frog or Leopard Frog.
I have bull frog tadpoles in my creek. Do you have a creek near you? Or a park? You could check with your local law and contact the local wildlife department and ask if you can take them. (Tell them that you will return them as frogs to the lake/creek)

Here is a picture of one I released last year...
C3000390-486E-4E14-B04D-EC90966CA1A9.jpeg

A really pretty male. :)

Whatever you end up getting, it should not be released after it has morphed into its adult form. Doing so could contribute to disease and genetic pollution of the local population.

Whatever you end up getting, it should not be released after it has morphed into its adult form. Doing so could contribute to disease and genetic pollution of the local population.
If they are in their own tank and do not come into contact with any other species, what type of disease would I be bringing to the wild population? In addition, if I can get wild tadpoles then they'd not be from a different genetic pool.

I agree. I raised some a couple of years and you don’t touch them . I just got mine from my back yard and within 2 days that had made the cacoon. As soon as they hatched and dried their wings, I let them go. Never touched them and tank had things from my yard which the caterpillar would have gone to anyway. How could this cause any issues?

If they do not come into contact with other amphibians while in captivity, and if they are released at their point of origin, then you are probably safe. Although, you should probably check your state laws. In many states, releasing amphibians after a certain period of time in captivity is prohibited.

Good thoughts, @Herpin Man.

With that, I am brought to the next issue at hand - anyone aware of the most affordable way to get some tadpoles? Most are sold in educational kits and are very expensive due to that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back