Is winter an "off season" fish availability-wise?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Snagrio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Amid my research for stocking ideas for my new tank I've noticed that except for the most common of species, most online sites I've looked at have next to nothing in stock. I don't know if it's the same across the pond as I'm aware this is a UK-based site but I'm curious if it's simply because it's winter or if this is yet another byproduct of pandemic shenanigans.

I would think pandemic. The high cost of freight at the moment means that the UK, being an island, has not been getting many imported fish.

Naughts I believe is correct. Not only fish but aquatic plants here in the U.S. are scarce at the chain pet stores.

byproduct of pandemic shenanigans
is this one, here in mexico there is also a shortage of exotic fish and every store owner says the same thing: "importing fish from other countries and even localy is harder because of the pandemic"

Well, overhere the colder seasons are the best to have the largest offer of tropical and subtropical fish. We have less choice during the summer season (because people are spending more money on vacations). So, during the summer season most stores overhere won't order new fish.

Well, overhere the colder seasons are the best to have the largest offer of tropical and subtropical fish. We have less choice during the summer season (because people are spending more money on vacations). So, during the summer season most stores overhere won't order new fish.
I'm trying to figure out where "NL" is, lol...

My brain decided to taunt me and gave me a dream last night where I was in a fish store and all of my desired species were right there in the wall tanks ready for the taking. Why does one's psyche have to be so cruel... ?

I know. Ive been away from the hobby 3 or 4 years and cant belive how sparse the fish selection is. Plants are even worse.

I know. Ive been away from the hobby 3 or 4 years and cant belive how sparse the fish selection is. Plants are even worse.
I did some scouting at my two closest stores today and yeah, it's pretty bad. Dozens of empty tanks and the ones that do have anything are always the same 10-15 species (goldfish, guppies, glofish, random central american/malawi cichlids, ect.).

My LFS is pretty well stocked. I don’t shop online, because I like to see the fish in person before I buy.

I don’t really think winter has anything to do with it, although the prices may increase for tropical fish, more the pandemic.

My LFS is pretty well stocked. I don’t shop online, because I like to see the fish in person before I buy.

I don’t really think winter has anything to do with it, although the prices may increase for tropical fish, more the pandemic.
Problem is my LFS is even worse than the big box stores. Very grungy and dirty tanks and half the fish there look sickly (in fact I went there once and there was a poor little clown loach covered head to tail in ich, and when I was back a day or two later it was sitting there dead).

There are others but they're either saltwater only or very far away (45 minutes to an hour's drive) so I'm pretty boned on local options. Only place left I can think of is an Aquarium Adventure but I've heard so many mixed opinions about the place and have only personally been there a couple times as it's so far away from my location.

Problem is my LFS is even worse than the big box stores. Very grungy and dirty tanks and half the fish there look sickly (in fact I went there once and there was a poor little clown loach covered head to tail in ich, and when I was back a day or two later it was sitting there dead).

There are others but they're either saltwater only or very far away (45 minutes to an hour's drive) so I'm pretty boned on local options. Only place left I can think of is an Aquarium Adventure but I've heard so many mixed opinions about the place and have only personally been there a couple times as it's so far away from my location.
That’s a bummer man, my LFS rocks. Super clean tanks and a very well kept place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back