Is three gourami in a 20 gal tank to many?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The Gourami Lady

Reaction score
I had a tank full of different fish, but my male Gold Gourami was bullying the smaller fish and my other female Blue Gourami, so I moved him into a new tank. He seemed lonely so I went and got a female Gold Gourami for him to hang out with, as well as two snails, they have been fine but it still looked a bit lonely so I went out again and got another snail and another Gourami. They didn't have anymore female Gold Gourami so I got a female Pearl Gourami. Is that bad? They don't fight but she sits idly at the top a lot and doesn't move for a while. Is there something wrong or something I should fix??? She sometimes also sits idly at the bottom of the tank and only goes to the top to get air(i think at least)

I would also not mix a pearl gourami with the gold. Gold and blue gouramis are variants of 3 spot, and are one of the more aggressive gouramis. pearls are one of the less aggressive and will probably be picked on by the golds.

I agree with Colin and essjay. Please return the Pearl, this is not at all likely to last very long before it is killed. The female gold may fare no better eventually, impossible to tell. The blue/gold gourami is, for its size, a feisty and aggressive fish.

I would also not mix a pearl gourami with the gold. Gold and blue gouramis are variants of 3 spot, and are one of the more aggressive gouramis. pearls are one of the less aggressive and will probably be picked on by the golds.
I haven't seen any nipping or anything aggressive though.

I agree with Colin and essjay. Please return the Pearl, this is not at all likely to last very long before it is killed. The female gold may fare no better eventually, impossible to tell. The blue/gold gourami is, for its size, a feisty and aggressive fish.
Thank you

A 20 gallon (2 foot long) tank is too small for 2 or 3 adult gold or blue gouramis. You might get by with a pair but 2s company and 3s a crowd.
I'll probably move the pearl into one of my other 2 tanks that are much bigger, thank you for the help!

Thank you though, I will be moving her to one of my other tanks

Most reactions

trending

Back