Is this wood safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, the test kit only tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. If its leeching a toxin it wouldnt show

There are hundreds types of toxin that we don't know and we have no idea how to test them.
Only the chemist may have some ideas about them but to test them is totally a different thing.

Last edited:
So it turns out that my wood is safe?

Yes, most likely, but still need observe the fish when you first put it inside your tank.

I realized the difficulty in identifying a wood as it had been striped of everything and probably sandblasted.
There is no leave, bark, flower, fruit or anything about the tree that we can refer to.

So, by just looking at the similarity of the wood shapes, we may identify it wrongly.

I'll see how my fish and shrimp will react to it. How long will it take?

Actually I have no idea at all cos I have never experienced it. LOL
My guess is, it can be pretty fast especially for small tank probably within one day to a few days...

Hopefully someone with experience can reply you...

By the way, are you aware that you have to soak it in a bucket before you put it into your tank?
I think Colin's advice is to soak it in salt water for 1-2 days. Then soak another 1-2 weeks in fresh water before you use it to get rid of the algae and other stuff.
My method is I pour hot water on it to soak for a while. I will rinse it a few times.
Then I will soak in water again for a few days. I am trying to remove the tannin at the same time as I don't like too much tannin.
But don't boil it as the wood will disintegrate faster if you boil it.
During the soaking period of a few days, it may grow some slime which could be due to some bacteria. I used a sponge to scrub it and remove the slime. Then soak again in water for a few days.
I think soaking for 1-2 weeks is good.

Another thing that I want to mention is the quarantine of plants. If possible, quarantine them longer like at least 2 weeks or even up to a month if you want them to be very safe.
Some parasites can survive longer than 2 weeks without a host (just my opinion).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back