Is this white spot?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Would appreciate your feedback. Is this white spot on her head towards the right? Her eyes also seem a little swollen but not sure if they are or it's my perception.

I don’t think it is white spot also known as Ich because there are normally multiple white spots all over the body. It looks like your beta might have got scratched slightly which would be nothing to worry about. Just in case you can treat for ich because it will not harm your fish if you want to be safe. It’s great you care so much about your fish I hope this helps!

I don’t think it is white spot also known as Ich because there are normally multiple white spots all over the body. It looks like your beta might have got scratched slightly which would be nothing to worry about. Just in case you can treat for ich because it will not harm your fish if you want to be safe. It’s great you care so much about your fish I hope this helps!
She does not look OK today! She is pale and unwell. She is floating next to her floating log and not swimming around. Whatever it was escalated quickly. I am just doing a 60% water change and then gonna do a bit of research on what I can do. I swear whenever I start feeding my fish flaked foods they get sick and die. She has been super healthy and strong for about two years! I was only feeding frozen foods and people kept suggesting prepared flakes are better and I feel like wheat and cereals are awful but I tried to see if that's true and if there's more fibre and nutrition and now after a couple of weeks this very strong girl is looking like death! She wasn't eating today. She looks bloated or swollen and super pale!!! I'll do a water test with the API before and after and share results. Please suggest.
IMG_20230508_100817.jpg

I swear whenever I start feeding my fish flaked foods they get sick and die. She has been super healthy and strong for about two years! I was only feeding frozen foods and people kept suggesting prepared flakes are better and I feel like wheat and cereals are awful but I tried to see if that's true and if there's more fibre and nutrition and now after a couple of weeks this very strong girl is looking like death! She wasn't eating today. She looks bloated or swollen and super pale!!! I'll do a water test with the API before and after and share results. Please suggest if you have seen this before.

Test & change water, consider adding salt or melafix (I've found these great for any sign of bacterial infection) if the Betta can tolerate it. I can't recall but I think they're ok - better to check first.

Tag in anyone here you know with good experience with Betta. Not sure if @PheonixKingZ is still active but he comes to mind.

I don't know why a flake food would make the fish sick.

With Betta I'd be careful to only have smooth edged decorations in tank & probably fine sand (I just love sand). Less chance of scratching or hurting fins.

Test & change water, consider adding salt or melafix (I've found these great for any sign of bacterial infection) if the Betta can tolerate it. I can't recall but I think they're ok - better to check first.

Tag in anyone here you know with good experience with Betta. Not sure if @PheonixKingZ is still active but he comes to mind.

I don't know why a flake food would make the fish sick.

With Betta I'd be careful to only have smooth edged decorations in tank & probably fine sand (I just love sand). Less chance of scratching or hurting fins.
I'll have to change the gravel out for sand. I'll do this soon.

Oh no I’m so sorry! What kind of food are you feeding your fish? Can you maybe put a picture up.

Oh no I’m so sorry! What kind of food are you feeding your fish? Can you maybe put a picture up.
16835504331263888679745323218890.jpg

I started giving them this about 3 times per week and continuing frozen brine shrimp, and other things I've always had healthy fish with the frozen stuff!

I've now done water test and all is normal as always has been with healthy fish. No ammonia or nitrite, or chlorine. A bit high nitrate because my tap water has high nitrate. This fish has survived a lot in 2 years! The only change is feeding this flaked foods but I've discussed this in the forum before and other people swear by flaked foods as being better nutrient content and fibre too. I don't know why but I don't have any luck with it and the only ingredient that is odd to me is wheat. Because the bug bites also contain wheat, I'm quite apprehensive to try bug bites tho they're also recommended, as first I wanted to see how any fish react to the wheat in this product since I'd already had it. After the food discussion thread I was concerned the frozen food doesn't give enough nutrients so that's why I was incorporating a bit of flakes. Maybeeeee I was overfeeding flakes and this caused issues I don't think so though because even though someone here said half is flake is all they need, I do want to feed generously and the instructions always say "feed as much as fish will eat within a few minutes". I usually give a few flakes.

Maybe she did get scratched on gravel and then it got infected overnight?? she ate and swam around yday but looked a bit pale and today is super pale and not happy at all!

I've put in 12 almond leaves boiled for five minutes prior. I've also dosed King British Disease clear (silver proteinate) I'd like some insight about this because I also have general cure. I saw something called VOOGLE and thought maybe I should try this... It's an immune booster to avoid anti-bio, I'd like any feedback from anyone who's tried VOOGLE?

Also one important thing, when instructions say to add 1ml per 9litres, and then repeat everyday for 1 week or until fish is better etc, does this mean add another dose ti the tank with previous day's dose still in the water OR do a water change and add another dose? Because I'm almost certain I accidentally made a goldfish worse in the past with melafix saying to dose daily and at first I changed water before dosing the following day for multiple days but the fish kept getting better then worse again so I thought maybe the dose needs to be added without water change each day and...I'm pretty sure that's how the goldfish died so I'm unsure as I also don't want to keep doing water changes if this means the medicine won't be effective.

I can't seem to find bettafix on amazon UK so I'm not sure if I need an antibiotic what is the best one for her. Isn't melafix just bettadix but less concentrated? This is what I've seen and I'm considering using this with smaller doses.

So dose daily for week would be 7 days & then a water change. Usually if you need water changes between doses it'll state that. However.... I would be wary of adding general cures or anything other than salt/melafix. If you use melafix add aeration with a water bubble thingy.

I'd just water change daily. But I'm not in anyway pro with Betta so wait for someone else to comment

I would avoid Melafix with a betta - and Bettafix (which is dilute Melafix) and Pimafix. All these contain essential oils which can interfere with the labyrinth organ. They shouldn't be used with gouramis either for the same reason.

Salt is a mild antiseptic which is relatively safe for freshwater fish - it isn't good for them, but it's less harmful than just about all medications.

Edited to add the n't after the word 'should' in this sentence "They shouldn't be used with gouramis...." as without it, it means the opposite :blush:

Last edited:
View attachment 317755
I started giving them this about 3 times per week and continuing frozen brine shrimp, and other things I've always had healthy fish with the frozen stuff!

I've now done water test and all is normal as always has been with healthy fish. No ammonia or nitrite, or chlorine. A bit high nitrate because my tap water has high nitrate. This fish has survived a lot in 2 years! The only change is feeding this flaked foods but I've discussed this in the forum before and other people swear by flaked foods as being better nutrient content and fibre too. I don't know why but I don't have any luck with it and the only ingredient that is odd to me is wheat. Because the bug bites also contain wheat, I'm quite apprehensive to try bug bites tho they're also recommended, as first I wanted to see how any fish react to the wheat in this product since I'd already had it. After the food discussion thread I was concerned the frozen food doesn't give enough nutrients so that's why I was incorporating a bit of flakes. Maybeeeee I was overfeeding flakes and this caused issues I don't think so though because even though someone here said half is flake is all they need, I do want to feed generously and the instructions always say "feed as much as fish will eat within a few minutes". I usually give a few flakes.

Maybe she did get scratched on gravel and then it got infected overnight?? she ate and swam around yday but looked a bit pale and today is super pale and not happy at all!

I've put in 12 almond leaves boiled for five minutes prior. I've also dosed King British Disease clear (silver proteinate) I'd like some insight about this because I also have general cure. I saw something called VOOGLE and thought maybe I should try this... It's an immune booster to avoid anti-bio, I'd like any feedback from anyone who's tried VOOGLE?

Also one important thing, when instructions say to add 1ml per 9litres, and then repeat everyday for 1 week or until fish is better etc, does this mean add another dose ti the tank with previous day's dose still in the water OR do a water change and add another dose? Because I'm almost certain I accidentally made a goldfish worse in the past with melafix saying to dose daily and at first I changed water before dosing the following day for multiple days but the fish kept getting better then worse again so I thought maybe the dose needs to be added without water change each day and...I'm pretty sure that's how the goldfish died so I'm unsure as I also don't want to keep doing water changes if this means the medicine won't be effective.

I can't seem to find bettafix on amazon UK so I'm not sure if I need an antibiotic what is the best one for her. Isn't melafix just bettadix but less concentrated? This is what I've seen and I'm considering using this with smaller doses.
Flake food really doesn’t get along with Bettas that well because when they go to the surface to get the food, they end up gulping a lot of air which could cause them to be bloated after a while. Pellets are the preferred food for bettas.

Flake food really doesn’t get along with Bettas that well because when they go to the surface to get the food, they end up gulping a lot of air which could cause them to be bloated after a while. Pellets are the preferred food for bettas.
My female betta never seems to catch or notice food very fast, sometimes she seems a bit slow and it tends to drop down and sink then she will not go down, she will swim back up to eat from the surface and I have heard bettas do like to do so , she will only really eat if I hand feed her with the long tweezers, I put it in and make her chase it a bit & hunt it then release it. I've tried pellets and it's hard to hold one with the tweezers but if I can put one directly infront of her face then she will eat them at times and other times she will let them sink and wait for more... Sometims she seems to struggle to "chew" them and spits them out mutliple times and tries again and again. Struggling. I can try getting more pellets like bug bites if they're a bit different but point is if they sink then she won't chase them down. Maybe I've trained her accidentally that the tweezers release food so she keeps focusing on the tweezers and let's food drop... But I just think if pellets sink and don't float she will miss them & if they float, she will still gulp air. My guppies have done fine with flakes, I do try submerging them with the tweezers too but I "powder" sprinkles for the young ones and have had no issues, although now I'm concerned & will go back to frozen brine shrimp & daphnia for everyone. If the bug bite pellets are larger and I can easily hold one by one to submerge and drop in front of the betta's face then I shall try that

I would not do water changes when you are treating the fish unless the directions say to. As for the fish flakes I personally use TetraMin tropical fish flakes but for your beta I am pretty sure you are supposed to give a special beta food so I would get something similar to this. I haven’t owned a beta for quite a few years but when I had mine I always fed him some kind of pellet and he survived for quite a few years https://www.amazon.com/TetraBetta-Floating

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would avoid Melafix with a betta - and Bettafix (which is dilute Melafix) and Pimafix. All these contain essential oils which can interfere with the labyrinth organ. They shouldn't be used with gouramis either for the same reason.

Salt is a mild antiseptic which is relatively safe for freshwater fish - it isn't good for them, but it's less harmful than just about all medications.

Edited to add the n't after the word 'should' in this sentence "They shouldn't be used with gouramis...." as without it, it means the opposite :blush:
So the betta seemed to improve after two days with 10 almond leaves and the King British disease clear (silver)... She has her color back and started swimming and eating! HOWEVER, NOW she has these white spots on her fins...

I have discovered a dead snail (empty shell!) In the tank today, could that have caused the issues??

I did a water change yesterday and now am wondering if I should use another medicine or dose again with Disease Clear because it says it helps with white spot... Although she has two more than the original and the original is gone.

She also has CLOUDY eyes still. Note, during the two days she was unwell and treated with disease clear, she released a long white string (from my research, not a parasite)

Please see here:

Most reactions

trending

Back