Is this true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Remember I was asking about goldfish and what goes with them? This is a response on a goldfish forum... Btw, if anyone wants 4 goldfish, let me know... I have been treating them unfairly according to this guy....

"well, sorry to say, but your tank is already very overstocked. Commontype goldfish like comets shubunkins, and commons, really need a bare minimum of 15 gallons apeice. When they are young like yours, 1 in a ten gallon tank is ok, aslong aswater quality is kept up with.
My advice is to get a larger setup if possible, and if that isnot possible because of certain restraints, then try to find them another home .
as for fish that can be kept with goldfish,if your tankwaslargeenough, bristlenose plecos, and dojo loaches are ones that usually work well. There are others though, but with common goldfish, they grwo so large that they can easily eat small fish like cories etc."

i donno about the 1 per 15 gallons, seems a bit high. I did have a goldfish once with 2 oscars. It was to big for them to eat and just kept growing along with them so i figured what the heck i'll leave him be. He got maybe 3-4 inches. Suprised me really. I would think they are like any other fish at that size, will eat what fits in its mouth.

there is a big difference between goldfish the guy you where talking to is talking about one of the biggest gold fish there are they get to about 10 inches i think posibly bigger the giant looking goldfish you see in ponds at garden centers with big fancy tails shubumpkins or something. i dont know how big a commet gets but they are the ones allot of people keep in gold fish bowls or small tanks 10 gallons is actually being kind to them compaired to keeping them in a bowl.i had a telescopic eye black moor that grew to about 5 inches once but a herron or my dads neglect soon saw that one off while i was away :( still my advice is to find out what variaty you have as it makes a big difference to what sort of set up you need to keep it. if you have any friends with a digital camera perhaps you could post a pic of it in members aquarium pictures. they will be fine in the tank you have now probably for at least a year that should give you time to ither find them a new home or to find out if they need a new home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back