Is This True

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FBTgirl2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was flipping through a betta book at my library and saw something interesting, it said that up to three females could go in the breeding tank with the male, I would not do this but is it true? If so has anyone tried this before?

Some breeders do this, saves time finding which female will stripe up for the male.

In the wild the males would gain access to multiple females, and probably mate with multiple females, and i'm pretty sure the strongest male get's first pick at a few females to mate with, mabye like elephants or horses, the strongest male gets to mate, the looser either leaves or gets last pick. To ensure the strongest gene gets passed on.

In captivity you would probably need a large tank like 50 gallon plus or even 100 to do this safely and a heavily planted tank.

It is a pattern that I have never tried. Although a male might pos1sibly respond well to a surplus of available females, it might equally decide that any extra females were a threat to its breeding attempts. Instead of trying so hard to change things, I would instead try to follow what has been proven to succeed in the past. We have seen tons of instances where a single male and a single female who mare both in good condition for breeding have resulted n good fry production. If you go down that path you can expect to have typical results in terms of fish that are accepted by other fish and 1ive to reproduce.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back