Hi guys, kinda new to the hobby.
was wondering if the fish I have is too many for my 36ā€ long aquarium

tank 36x12x16

fish:
1 betta
9 harlequin rasboras
4 danio glowlight
5 danio tinwini
I have two random fish I think they are micro tiger rasbora that came in the mix when I got the harlequins, and then small snails and a couple of cherry shrimp.
the tank is heavily planted and I wanted to maybe add some celestial pearl danio, currently have 10 babies in another tank.
Is this to many?
btw my betta swims and eats with everyone heā€™s the nicest betta Iā€™ve ever had, the fish swim up to him and he doesnā€™t even care! Oh and the tank is cycled already.
Thanks guys!

Hi, and welcome!
Gotta admit, I was nervous opening this thread! Usually when someone asks, "is this too many fish for my tank?" the answer is a resounding yes, with a long list of mismashed, oversized fish that must have the tank bursting at its seams, but this sounds understocked if anything, to me! Not that understocking is bad, it's definitely better to be under than over!

Yes, it definitely doesn't sound like too many to me, even with a large school of celestials. :) Whether or not celestials would be okay with a betta, I can't say I'm afraid, I've kept neither.

I'd never heard of danio tinwini before so had to google to see, very nice! Would love to see photos of the tank if you'd be happy to share!

Oh, and if you'd like a definite ID for the unknown species of fish, if you upload photos of them here, someone will be able to identify them :) Probably not me, but someone will know!

I've got more fish than that in a smaller tank, also heavily planted. All my fish get along and the water quality is perfect. I think it really depends on the fish you keep, the set up of the tank and filtration. There will be some that will flat out swear by the inches per gallon rule but i've been able to keep more fish than that rule allows safely for years. I think your tank is far from being overstocked especially if it's heavily planted.

I've got more fish than that in a smaller tank, also heavily planted. All my fish get along and the water quality is perfect. I think it really depends on the fish you keep, the set up of the tank and filtration. There will be some that will flat out swear by the inches per gallon rule but i've been able to keep more fish than that rule allows safely for years. I think your tank is far from being overstocked especially if it's heavily planted.
The "inches per gallon" rule is hogwash, IMO....who would put a 10" fish in a 10G tank?

Hi guys, kinda new to the hobby.
was wondering if the fish I have is too many for my 36ā€ long aquarium

tank 36x12x16

fish:
1 betta
9 harlequin rasboras
4 danio glowlight
5 danio tinwini
I have two random fish I think they are micro tiger rasbora that came in the mix when I got the harlequins, and then small snails and a couple of cherry shrimp.
the tank is heavily planted and I wanted to maybe add some celestial pearl danio, currently have 10 babies in another tank.
Is this to many?
btw my betta swims and eats with everyone heā€™s the nicest betta Iā€™ve ever had, the fish swim up to him and he doesnā€™t even care! Oh and the tank is cycled already.
Thanks guys!
what i usually do is go by the 1 inch per fish rule. So you could have 36 one inch fish in your 36 gallon. I know itā€™s sorta bad but i kinda works for small fish.

what i usually do is go by the 1 inch per fish rule. So you could have 36 one inch fish in your 36 gallon. I know itā€™s sorta bad but i kinda works for small fish.
Or, a 10" fish in a 10G tank?

The 'one inch per gallon' rule is usually not completely stated. The full rule is 'one inch of fish that grows no larger than 3 inches and is pencil shaped per gallon'. It doesn't apply to fish that grow larger than 3 inches, or any deep bodied fish. It will sort of work for neon tetras but not oscars for example. Even then it's not very accurate.

I agree with Adorabelle, the tank is understocked.

Hi, and welcome!
Gotta admit, I was nervous opening this thread! Usually when someone asks, "is this too many fish for my tank?" the answer is a resounding yes, with a long list of mismashed, oversized fish that must have the tank bursting at its seams, but this sounds understocked if anything, to me! Not that understocking is bad, it's definitely better to be under than over!

Yes, it definitely doesn't sound like too many to me, even with a large school of celestials. :) Whether or not celestials would be okay with a betta, I can't say I'm afraid, I've kept neither.

I'd never heard of danio tinwini before so had to google to see, very nice! Would love to see photos of the tank if you'd be happy to share!
U
Hi, and welcome!

phew! I was so worried that there were too many fish!! Thanks for the reply. Once the celestial pearls get bigger then Iā€™ll definitely add them in. Also I am selling the danio tinwini to someone so there will be even more room.
I think my betta will be fine with the celestials, the tinwini swim right up to him to see what heā€™s all about but he kinda just looks at them and does nothing. Iā€™ve never seen a betta like him before act like this haha.
thanks again :)

I have like a water maker
Hi, and welcome!

I will definitely try to post a pic sometime!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back