Is this the right move?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks Byron... I might just rehome all of them and start fresh. It sounds like the gourami tetra thing isn’t going to work so I will think of a different stock that will work. Do you have any suggestions for stock in this tank? Maybe neon tetras or guppy’s?

Thanks Byron... I might just rehome all of them and start fresh. It sounds like the gourami tetra thing isn’t going to work so I will think of a different stock that will work. Do you have any suggestions for stock in this tank? Maybe neon tetras or guppy’s?
Guppiesssssssssssssss!

Before answering this, I see I forgot to comment on the rummys...they need a longer tank, at minimum 36 inches/90 cm, because they like to swim. They are not boisterous active swimming fish like most danios or many barbs for example, but they do like to swim down the tank length and around things.

This is a 20g high so it is 24 inches/60 cm in length by 12 inches/30 cm width. Next thing is water parameters for the source water. The GH (hardness) is the most important. Your water authority may have this data on their website if you do not already know.

Before answering this, I see I forgot to comment on the rummys...they need a longer tank, at minimum 36 inches/90 cm, because they like to swim. They are not boisterous active swimming fish like most danios or many barbs for example, but they do like to swim down the tank length and around things.

This is a 20g high so it is 24 inches/60 cm in length by 12 inches/30 cm width. Next thing is water parameters for the source water. The GH (hardness) is the most important. Your water authority may have this data on their website if you do not already know.
Is gpg(grains per gallon) the same thing as GH? If so then it is 4.2

Is gpg(grains per gallon) the same thing as GH? If so then it is 4.2

GH has several units in use, and gpg is one of them. The hobby uses ppm (parts per million, which happens to be equal to mg/l) and dGH (degrees). We can convert. A gpg of 4.2 equates to 72 ppm which equates to 4 dGH. So this is soft to very soft water.

That makes your options for fish must broader, as there are far more smaller-sized species in very soft water than hard water. Almost any fish from South America or SE Asia are suited, parameter-wise, so look at the smaller-sized fish. Ember Tetras, Neon Tetras or the rarer Green or False Neon, Black Phantom Tetra (since you had Black Skirts, these are similar in colour but very, very peaceful and not active swimmers), or some of the smaller rasboras from Asia... .With sand one of the dwarf cory species would be nice.

GH has several units in use, and gpg is one of them. The hobby uses ppm (parts per million, which happens to be equal to mg/l) and dGH (degrees). We can convert. A gpg of 4.2 equates to 72 ppm which equates to 4 dGH. So this is soft to very soft water.

That makes your options for fish must broader, as there are far more smaller-sized species in very soft water than hard water. Almost any fish from South America or SE Asia are suited, parameter-wise, so look at the smaller-sized fish. Ember Tetras, Neon Tetras or the rarer Green or False Neon, Black Phantom Tetra (since you had Black Skirts, these are similar in colour but very, very peaceful and not active swimmers), or some of the smaller rasboras from Asia... .With sand one of the dwarf cory species would be nice.
Thank you for the advice!! I really appreciate it! So what I will do is next month I’ll rehome all my fish, get my tank scapes to where I want it and try to bribe my mom to let me get sand. I will probably try to get some neon tetras and dwarf corys.

Thank you for the advice!! I really appreciate it! So what I will do is next month I’ll rehome all my fish, get my tank scapes to where I want it and try to bribe my mom to let me get sand. I will probably try to get some neon tetras and dwarf corys.
Sounds good. BTW, not all "sand" is suitable, we can look at that later.

Why does your mom not want you to get sand? My parents didn't mind when I put sand in my tanks, my dad even gave me 2x 50 pound bags of pool filter sand that I found in the garage!

Why does your mom not want you to get sand? My parents didn't mind when I put sand in my tanks, my dad even gave me 2x 50 pound bags of pool filter sand that I found in the garage!
She doesn’t not want me to get sand, she just doesn’t see the point in switching from gravel to sand...

So my mom say a “shiny thing” floating in my tank about 2 days ago and she is pretty sure that it was part of the fish. I also have not seen it once so I think the other fish ate it. Now when I mentioned rehoming all of them she said “we don’t need to do that we just maybe get more of different species.” So i’ll try to convince her and my other mom again... wish me luck.

So my mom say a “shiny thing” floating in my tank about 2 days ago and she is pretty sure that it was part of the fish. I also have not seen it once so I think the other fish ate it. Now when I mentioned rehoming all of them she said “we don’t need to do that we just maybe get more of different species.” So i’ll try to convince her and my other mom again... wish me luck.

Explain to her that fish are living creatures and like all animals they have inherent needs that must be met if they are to live healthy wholesome lives.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back