Is this the right move?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

UnknownFishies

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I talked about this before and just wanted to make sure that I am making the right choices. So... I have 3 dwarf gouramis, 3 powder blue gouramis, 3 black skirt tetras and 2 serpae tetras. I know this is a very bad stock but I was naive and thought that was good. Anyways what I want to do is rehome most of my fish because they are CONSTANTLY fighting?. Is this the right decision or can I do something better?

How big is your tank? I would get rid of the dwarf gouramis, as they are pretty territorial with each other. I've never kept serpaes, but I hear they can be pretty nippy too if they're kept in too small numbers or in too small a space.

If it were MY tank, I would rehome the serpae tetras, bring my school of black skirts up to 8, and keep just one type of gourami

If it were MY tank, I would rehome the serpae tetras, bring my school of black skirts up to 8, and keep just one type of gourami
Ok, I think I will keep one eyed jack, he’s my favorite fish so i see if i can go next month. he’s a dwarf gourami that is constantly getting picked on and i feel so bad...

Ok, I think I will keep one eyed jack, he’s my favorite fish so i see if i can go next month. he’s a dwarf gourami that is constantly getting picked on and i feel so bad...
That sounds like a good plan! I don’t know anything about gourami’s though, so I don’t know if you are able to have more in with one eyed jack or not. And I just thought about the fact that if the black skirt tetras are being nippy and fighting with the gourami’s, it may be best to rehome them too and get a more peaceful type of tetra or some cories or something

That sounds like a good plan! I don’t know anything about gourami’s though, so I don’t know if you are able to have more in with one eyed jack or not. And I just thought about the fact that if the black skirt tetras are being nippy and fighting with the gourami’s, it may be best to rehome them too and get a more peaceful type of tetra or some cories or something
Yeah I shouldn’t have more than one gourami but I was stupid and didn’t research it. It’s mainly the black skirts are fighting with the serpaes. They sometimes go after my blue powders.

And now I’m starting to think one of my black skirts just died... I literally cannot find him anywhere. Almost every time he comes up to feed but he’s not anywhere to be seen?

So what are you thinking you are going to do? Like what are you hoping your “final stock” will be?

So what are you thinking you are going to do? Like what are you hoping your “final stock” will be?
Well I would like to keep one gourami, would’ve liked to get cories but I have gravel instead of sand so that’s probably not an option, I want some more tetras, maybe like green neons or rummy nose. I mainly want a gourami and tetra tank. I might get some hornwart plants so it gives a lot more cover. I mean I could ask my mom to get black sand for corys, but I am still debating if I want them in this tank.

The tank size is very restricting here, and part of the problem. You also have non-compatible fish, as others have pointed out.

Given the tank is only a 20g tall, it is not sufficient for all of the gourami (males are territorial, and one male with five females might work, but not multiple males), nor for a proper-sized group of Serpae Tetra which have a minimum requirement of a 30-inch/75 cm long tank for a group of 15-20 Serpae, but nothing else without a much larger tank. A group of Black Skirts need a tank longer than a 20g high.

Second issue, gourami are sedate fish, and such fish should never be combined with a small fish that has a tendency to fin nip as the Serpae and Skirts both have. We all had to learn this, now you know. There are some small shoaling fish that will do well with sedate fish, but not these.

Cories do need sand, correct, if we want them to be at their best as nature intended. The reduced gourami can work with them if that is your decision. Or the reduced gourami with other peaceful fish, we could explore options if that is your decision.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back