Is this tank “ugly”?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Perci

Reaction score
Not trying to hate on my tank but I feel like it’s not as pretty and defined as most hobbyists tanks are that I see online. It makes me a little insecure. My other tanks look decent but this tank is only around 3.5 months old. What more can I do for it?
Current inhabitants are:
4 gara rufa
4 balloon mollies
4 sparkling gourami
(There were pearl gouramis but I returned them as I don’t think they fit in this size tank despite what I’ve read) (tank is a 20gal long)
I was considering getting honey gouramis and a GBR pair but I don’t know if I have enough hardscape for the GBR. Any advice on how to further stock this tank?

Attachments

• DDDCE3FD-E71D-40D8-B58A-4E5E648B929D.jpeg
    DDDCE3FD-E71D-40D8-B58A-4E5E648B929D.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 75
Not trying to hate on my tank but I feel like it’s not as pretty and defined as most hobbyists tanks are that I see online. It makes me a little insecure. My other tanks look decent but this tank is only around 3.5 months old. What more can I do for it?
Current inhabitants are:
4 gara rufa
4 balloon mollies
4 sparkling gourami
(There were pearl gouramis but I returned them as I don’t think they fit in this size tank despite what I’ve read) (tank is a 20gal long)
I was considering getting honey gouramis and a GBR pair but I don’t know if I have enough hardscape for the GBR. Any advice on how to further stock this tank?
That tank is beautiful! 😍 Believe me, your fishies are living the life. ;)

I like your tank! I don't think it's ugly at all.

I like the tank. I have a bunch in the same general style, and I enjoy looking at what's in there.

Could you change it? Sure, always. That's part of the fun. If you aren't satisfied, then you can add a little, subtract a little, rearrange...

If you have balloon mollies (the one thing I don't like in your tank as they are bred for an intentional spinal deformity) and they are thriving, you probably have harder water than rams would like. Plus rams would need a redesign of the bottom of the tank, with rocks and wood used differently.

Whether you think a tank looks good is absolutely for you, but there are fish with specific habitat needs, so if you are going to do right by them, then the tank has to be adapted for that. That's a whole other thing than the fact the tank looks fine.

I agree with the others, I like your underwater jungle and also believe that your fish are probably quite happy there.

As far as adding more fish, I wouldn’t worry about that either. With what you’ve got now, those fish may end up filling up any unused fish space in your aquarium all on their own. Lots of places for fry to hide and survive in that tank.

As time passes and some plants do well, others maybe not so much, you will find that the look of your tank will change from time to time. I wouldn’t worry about that either.

Nice tank. Happy fish. Seems like you have it all right now.

Yah its not ugly! I think sometimes we dislike our own tanks cause its the one we put together and we are around it a lot so we tend to not see the beauty in it... But I think that tank looks really good!

I like this tank, nothing wrong with it at all...except for the thermometer....could you move it to one of the side glasses?

I find thermometers attached to the front glass distracting...sorry, a wee pet-peeve of mine ;)

I like the tank. I have a bunch in the same general style, and I enjoy looking at what's in there.

Could you change it? Sure, always. That's part of the fun. If you aren't satisfied, then you can add a little, subtract a little, rearrange...

If you have balloon mollies (the one thing I don't like in your tank as they are bred for an intentional spinal deformity) and they are thriving, you probably have harder water than rams would like. Plus rams would need a redesign of the bottom of the tank, with rocks and wood used differently.

Whether you think a tank looks good is absolutely for you, but there are fish with specific habitat needs, so if you are going to do right by them, then the tank has to be adapted for that. That's a whole other thing than the fact the tank looks fine.
Would you recommend I switch the balloon mollies for something else? My water is acidic and soft but these little guys have seemed to thrive in my tanks somehow. I’ve had them for maybe 4 months and never experienced issues aside from having to drip acclimate them for a few hours when first adding them to a new tank. I love how they look in my tank, but the spinal deformity issue does bother me a lot and I’ve heard that they can unknowingly suffer from it. I’ve seen how some breeders mollies look and I worry about mine getting that deformed sometimes. Should I try platys or guppies instead perhaps?

I like this tank, nothing wrong with it at all...except for the thermometer....could you move it to one of the side glasses?

I find thermometers attached to the front glass distracting...sorry, a wee pet-peeve of mine ;)
I didn’t think about that but yeah I dont like it being in the front either lol. Definitely moving it

The balloon thing. I don't like it because the scoliosis spine is a concern. Our nervous system and those of fishes are really similar, and the belief fish don't feel pain is a fisherman's fantasy. I have minor scoliosis, and I can tell you the ethics of the people who intentionally bred this trait into fish are not good.

But people who buy them are unaware. They're a new aquarists' fish, because they are shrunken mollies. They don't see the shortened life or digestive problems being scrunched up like that cause. And once people buy them, then they have to take good care of them.

If you return them, they'll sell again. I'd love it if we could discourage the deformed fish side of the trade, but we aren't doing well there.

Platys and guppies come from the same hard water as mollies do...and watch out for balloon platys.

It's a cruel world sometimes.

Your tanks needs more florescent gravel, and perhaps a Sponge Bob pineapple house. In reality if the fish are happy what does it matter. I agree with @GaryE keep the balloon fish now that you have them. Even if you have florescent gravel and the super hero's hall of justice in the tank, if the fish are doing well who cares, it is for your enjoyment.

In regards to pain, I believe it is pretty clear that all animals feel pain. Current research on Nociceptors is making this more apparent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back