Is This Swim Bladder Disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lazarusthefishboy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all!
I just got home from holidays, and my Emperor Tetra is swimming erratically. It has an unbalanced buoyancy and is struggling to swim upright. That is usually the sign of Swim Bladder Disease, but it's also bloated. I checked for pine coning and it doesn't have any scales sticking out. If it is Swim Bladder, I plan on putting it in a floating breeder box and feeding it green peas (so the other fish don't eat the peas first). Luckily he's still eating, and I just wanna get rid of it ASAP.
So my question is, can fish be bloated when having swim bladder disease?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Lazarus

So my question is, can fish be bloated when having swim bladder disease?
They can if the swim bladder has swollen up but it's not that common.

Can you post some pictures and a video of the fish?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the image fills the entire screen.

They can if the swim bladder has swollen up but it's not that common.

Can you post some pictures and a video of the fish?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the image fills the entire screen.
Here's the video!

That fish is stuffed :(

It's not a swim bladder problem. It looks more like a neurological issue, maybe from a bacterial infection in the brain. It looks like it has a swollen eye too, but once they start swimming weird that is usually it.

You can try doing big daily water changes for a week and cleaning the tank up (filter and gravel). Then add some salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres). Keep salt in tank for 1-2 weeks and see if it improves. If there is no improvement after a few days of salt and clean water, it probably isn't going to get better.

--------------------
Swim bladder problems normally cause the fish to float up or sink to the bottom when it stops swimming. Floating can also be caused by air in the intestine. To check for this you stop feeding dry food for a week and use frozen or live foods instead. If the fish gets better without the dry food, then it is air in the intestine.

If your fish has symptoms of Swim bladder disorder then the belly of the fish up and can be able to feed normally or maybe reach at the surface of the water.

Swim bladder disease doesn't exist, and that complicates things. The bladders inflate with gas from the intestines, and are on each side of the fish. If something traps gas, over or under produces gas,, causes inflammation, etc you get swim bladder problems. But the disease is the something. The one we hope it is is constipation, It's far more often an infection, a bowel blockage, etc. It's a bit like if we declared declared all pain in humans to be pain disease without being able to look into what was causing the pain.

All that aside, I agree with @Colin_T .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back