Is this really Ich?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Mischenko

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Iā€™m not exactly new to fishkeeping; however, I finally have a tank again after 18 years of break from the hobby. Iā€™ve just started out again with a new cycled tank and some angelfish I purchased from Petsmart. After putting them into my aquarium I noticed something strange looking on one of the angelā€™s fins. It appears to be Ich, but it doesnā€™t have the classic ā€˜salt grainā€™ look to it.
DEBCB259-C6B7-417E-98B3-E6EA9E606AEF.jpeg
Itā€™s also been on the fins, in the same place without change, for 5 days. My gut is telling me to treat the entire tank now to be safe, but these spots almost have an egg-like appearance. One friend believe itā€™s Ich but isnā€™t confident. Is this really Ich? Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

A2BEC840-95F8-45CA-936B-06777227C542.jpeg

I don't think it's ich. It's just on the fins and I'd expect ich all over the body; the spots are oval not round. But what it is I don't know. Spots like this have been attributed to calcium deposits - did the fish have them when you bought it or have they appeared after you bought it? If they all appeared at once in a very short space of time, I doubt they are calcium deposits though.

Maybe someone else will know what they are.

I don't think it's ich. It's just on the fins and I'd expect ich all over the body; the spots are oval not round. But what it is I don't know. Spots like this have been attributed to calcium deposits - did the fish have them when you bought it or have they appeared after you bought it? If they all appeared at once in a very short space of time, I doubt they are calcium deposits though.

Maybe someone else will know what they are.
Thank you for your reply. Calcium deposits makes sense to me. After searching online, I also came across Lymphocystis (virus).

These were present on the fins of this fish as soon as I put it in the tank. I didnā€™t notice it when it was in the bag, nor did I see it in the Petsmart tank. You can see it very well with the light on, but theyā€™re more subtle in low light and can be missed easily. Iā€™ve never experienced a thing like this with fish before, and it doesnā€™t seem like Ich to me either, but Iā€™ve been out of the hobby for some time now. My biggest concern is that itā€™s going to infect the entire tank (whatever it is) even though I only have a few other fish in there right now.

Iā€™m going to monitor it for now and maybe try some paraguard if it gets worse. Thank you again for your help.

I'm fairly certain that's NOT ich...too big and the wrong shape.
I don't suppose you could catch the fish and, whilst it's in a wet net, see if the white blobs are moveable or a part of the fin, like a swelling or a bubble?

I'm fairly certain that's NOT ich...too big and the wrong shape.
I don't suppose you could catch the fish and, whilst it's in a wet net, see if the white blobs are moveable or a part of the fin, like a swelling or a bubble?
Itā€™s interesting that you ask because we did try that. My plan was to try to gently scrape one off and put it under the microscope, but they donā€™t seem to want to come off. Itā€™s almost like itā€™s part of the fin. The shape is what makes me think it isnā€™t Ich either, but the egg-like look makes me think parasite or fungal. The shape is somewhat oval and in between the grooves in the fin. Itā€™s the strangest thing. Iā€™m at a loss. I called our local aquarium, and the man I spoke with said he doesnā€™t think itā€™s Ich either. Hmmā€¦

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back