Is This Really A Greenbottle Puffer?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

johnabenna

Reaction score
Hello - I haven't posted here in many years. I now live in Thailand and today I went to my lfs and they had these amazing fish. I initially thought they were puffer fish, but the lady explained to me they wouldn't get big when scared, so I assumed my Thai wasn't good enough and I'd thought wrong.

However now after looking online, it seems they are green bottle puffers. See pictures below...

image.jpg

image.jpg

The lady in the fish store told me they'd happily eat the same floating food I use with my other surface feeders. However after reading the pinned topics, I've discovered they have "beaks" and need crunchy food?!?

First, I'd love for someone to confirm that's definitely what species they are. They only cost be 35 Baht, which is about 70 UK pence, and from what I've read, they're normally expensive. Secondly, could someone clarify about their food - are some cooked, peeled prawns ok? One website mentioned anaesthetising fish using clove oil... Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

So far, they seem perfectly happy and the two fish are swimming happily together side by side.

Thanks again, JB.

i'm unsure of what they are , looks like green spotted puffer to me and i'm pretty sure they like to eat snails ?

Those aren't green bottle puffers.

I'm currently thinking green spotteds, as Stimo said.

Thanks Stimo and DrRob. Now you've said green spotted, the pictures I've found online look identical - so thank you.

Snails as food - thank you! I saw some ghost shrimp on one website forum being advised too. Going to be difficult as the pet shop isn't within walking distance, so no chance of buying a big batch of shrimp as I have no 2nd tank to store them in. Also, I've not seen frozen blood worm here :-(

I can't stop watching them - so intelligent, you can almost 'see' them thinking. haha.

They are indeed Green Spotted Puffers, whilst they don't get *huge* like some puffers, they still get to a good size, can really be nasty to each other if not enough space (about 50 litres per fish) and they cant really live with other fish as they are more aggressive to other species.

They are also a brackish species and you will need to keep them in a very accurately measured low salinity tank and as they reach maturity, increase the salt up to marine (so from about 1.005 then up to 1.024 SG).

They will also never eat flake or pellets, they might try them and have a go now and then but they will need frozen/defrost or fresh foods like prawn, cockle, muscle, clam, smelt or whitebait/sprats, fish or frozen fish food mixes like bloodworm, krill, Mysis or brineshrimp.

What you read about the clove oil is likely because they often need their teeth trimming. They have four teeth that form a beak and without constantly grinding, they grow really long (this will end up making fish starve as it cant eat) and so the clove oil which is an anaesthetic can be used (very VERY carefully) to make fish sleep whilst you cut its teeth and then wake up again... obviously this is very dangerous... but very necessary.

They are really lovely fish! But they require a LOT of time, care and attention. Only get them if you really think you can deal with the work for years. If not, there are many other lovely species to keep!

Thanks MBOU. Currently the two of them seem really 'sweet' together just following each other but not in a chasing, aggressive way - sure that will all change!

R.e.: Brackish - the lady in the store said 'nam tamada' which means normal water. However, going by her lack of knowledge on the food-front, and if you're saying it, obviously she was wrong. What happens if you don't make the water brackish? Will the puffers just die? If I've got some white molly's in there too - would making it brackish kill them?

I just gave them some frozen (but quickly defrosted when in the water) prawn. They gobbled it up, then seemed to spit it out. Then started to eat it again. I think I'm going to have to find something else as I worry the raw prawn meat will turn my water bad.

Think this is a case of 'read before you buy' gone wrong. But I shall try my best to keep them going :)

Thanks again, JB.

Aww you are lucky on having puffers! 
Like people mentioned, Puffers are usually aggressive, so my guess is you won't even have to think about your Molly when the time comes to make your tank marine.
Good luck on a big quest!

Hi I_I_I - thanks for your reply.

A quick update... everything is still alive in the tank. All 8 molly's seems to be living harmoniously with the puffers. In fact, the 2 puffers actually 'sleep' in one of the tubes in the tank, WITH the biggest molly. This may be a case of tempting fate, but for now all seems OK.

I've been feeding them with lumps of frozen prawn. The first 5 minutes or so in the tank while the prawn is frozen seems good for their teeth as you can hear them grinding at it. Then once it's defrosted they kind of lose interest and the molly's seem to have now taken a likening to prawn.

Without sounding too 'cock sure', living in TH has made me think about fish keeping. In the UK we're sold de-chlorinator, water test kits and tons of other peripherals - none of which are cheap. When I asked the lady in my LFS if I needed any of this she laughed and said "no" the tap water is fine, even with chlorine. I actually only started with 2 molly's, but they bred (before the puffers) without any nursery net or anything, almost 4 times, without me doing anything. I had so many, all the local kids got a few fish for a tank. It really seems that less can sometimes be more.

Ahhhh, one more thing sorry - do these puffers I have contain the same toxin which is famed for killing sushi eaters? I only ask, because when cleaning the tank, etc, should I be worried about any of the tank water splashing on things? And then someone it getting in my mouth? I know it's a long shot, but thought would ask.

Most reactions

trending

Back