Is This Really A Female? (Pics)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
About 2 months ago I bought my first two betta, the one in the pics and a red one. Both were labeled female. I brought them home and put them in a 16 gal tank with 4 mollies. About 3 weeks later (after having NO aggression problems at all) I read that you should never have just two females so I ended up rehoming the mollies and added 7 more female betta. I now have a total of 9 betta in a 16 gal tank without any problems at all.

Now that I own all of these betta I've been doing lots of research and have not seen any females with tails quite as long and "flowey" as the one I have. Could it be that I have a male living peacefully among females or do some females have long tails?

betta2.jpg

betta.jpg

betta4.jpg

About 2 months ago I bought my first two betta, the one in the pics and a red one. Both were labeled female. I brought them home and put them in a 16 gal tank with 4 mollies. About 3 weeks later (after having NO aggression problems at all) I read that you should never have just two females so I ended up rehoming the mollies and added 7 more female betta. I now have a total of 9 betta in a 16 gal tank without any problems at all.

Now that I own all of these betta I've been doing lots of research and have not seen any females with tails quite as long and "flowey" as the one I have. Could it be that I have a male living peacefully among females or do some females have long tails?

betta2.jpg

betta.jpg

betta4.jpg
no this is a male its a vt male nothing girly about him :p

So, he was origionally in a tank with 4 mollies and a female betta...and now he is in the same tank with 8 female betta. And not even the slightest problem after 2 months...I'm confused. From EVERYTHING I have read this is not possible.

I think you got really lucky. But that is definately a male, and you may want to consider moving him before the fish realize he is a male :p

It is possible, he is young which is clear to see from his fins.

It may work and he will be fine in there, but 1 day you might find him or 1 female dead.

If you are planning on keeping him in there then keep a CLOSE eye out for aggression and nipped fins.

It's not often that they will live together peacefully,- but it is possible in some cases. No-one would ever recommend it,- but you obviously have a very laid back boy! Just keep an extra close eye on them for any signs of aggression within the tank. :)

It's very funny because about a week ago I posted a question asking what would happen if you put one male in a tank full of females...I said I was just wondering and wasn't considering trying it! Yet I tried it without knowing.

It's been about 2 months and all is well. I certianly hope they all continue behave. I have 2 large tanks of fish (cichlids) and the 16 gal with betta. I've never been into the idea of a single fish in a little tank. I guess my 10 year old daughter would be happy to have him in her room if there becomes a problem. Hoping all remains peaceful!

if u want to breed them i dont think u can, i heard that males can't breed when they r over the age of 14 months , they may still try though :8

I really wasnt planning to breed them but I guess it could just happen. He's definately not over 14 months.

I very much doubt anything will survive even if they did breed.
The fry are more than likely going to get eaten even if they did hatch.
Betta breeding needs to be done in a separate tank :nod:

Yes, I've heard it's somewhat complicated and I have my hands full with all of the fish I already have. No need to start breeding them.

I wonder, since they came from the same store, are they siblings? And maybe this is the reason they are okay together, because they were raised together? Just a thought

Red Betta said:
if u want to breed them i dont think u can, i heard that males can't breed when they r over the age of 14 months , they may still try though :8

Is that right, they must only be 14 months old?  Not heard that before.

Lisa67 said:

Believe it or not I have seen a Betta like this in a store that was female, she had the egg spot to prove it.  They decided to keep her in the store to show people that females can look like males.  That said, there is more of a chance that yours is a VT male.  Hopefully all will continue to go well for you, but a word of warning, my first VT male had all his fins ripped off overnight in the store when he was housed with 2 females, I bought him with stubs rather than fins.  So I would hate to think what could happen with their being more females in there?  I do not want to scare you, but to be on the safe side, maybe your daughter might like a friend in her room?

Most reactions

trending

Back