Is this pump adequate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Characf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/...HAJNM9W2_LLUly33ykxDrRPoZbndH8g0aAhOxEALw_wcB

so I've got this internal filter from all pond solutions, its for my 300L 4ft tank, its got a powerful flow out so have to keep at far end with outlet pointing towards the glass. It's easy for maintenance etc but I've noticed a lot of debry (plant leaves, poo, sediment) on the bottom of the tank at the other end.

Is this filter adequate as I have no storage for a external pump

If you have set up the flow so it bypasses most of the tank-( circulating locally only) I would expect the results you are experiencing.

If you have set up the flow so it bypasses most of the tank-( circulating locally only) I would expect the results you are experiencing.
If i face the outlet pushing water down the tank it's far too powerful the fish are blown around

As a filter its more than adequate. Turn the flow down to the minimum - there is an instruction guide in the link you sent. If you can find a way to get the flow working so debris ends up back in the filter its a bonus - but that's not really the job of the filter. Turning the flow down will not reduce the effectiveness of the filter. The longer the water stays in the filter the more effective the bio filtration.

The oft quoted flow rate of 4-6 times tank volume (usually quoted by filter manufacturers trying to sell bigger, i.e. more expensive, filters) is way overkill for most tropical tanks. All my tanks are set to minimum flow. In one case (the Fluval Flex) I bought a replacement pump because the one that was supplied with the tank was simply too powerful.

I not sure there's any single filter that is powerful enough to move water and detritus keepin a tank "perfectly clean." If there it's then you gotta have fish who enjoy living in a whirl pool. In your situation sounds like have an area where the detritus converge. Seems it just an easy easy matter of siphoning it out, or you can add a 2nd filter in that area you are concerned about. Just my 2 cents but the obsession with a "superclean, algae/detirus free" aquarium is misplaced.,

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/...HAJNM9W2_LLUly33ykxDrRPoZbndH8g0aAhOxEALw_wcB

so I've got this internal filter from all pond solutions, its for my 300L 4ft tank, its got a powerful flow out so have to keep at far end with outlet pointing towards the glass. It's easy for maintenance etc but I've noticed a lot of debry (plant leaves, poo, sediment) on the bottom of the tank at the other end.

Is this filter adequate as I have no storage for a external pump
Hello Characf. As long as you're removing and replacing half the tank water weekly, you'll remove whatever material has dissolved in the water and the filter you have will be adequate. Filters really can't maintain a clean tank nearly as well as a large weekly water change. I have a 300 gallon tank that has no mechanical filtration, just a large air pump to move the tank water. I remove and replace most of the water every week. I have a dozen or so adult Goldfish in the tank and probably that many fry.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back