Is this overstocked? + Centerpiece Fish Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

gary1

Reaction score
Hello! So I finished planting and preparing my 20 gallon tall community tank, I was using AqAdvisor to help choose fish, I settled on - 1x Dwarf Gourami - 5x White Cloud Mountain Minnow - 5x Harlequin Rasboras - 3x Kuhli Loach. (probably some shrimp and snails in the future)

AqAdvisor said this was 79% capacity on my tank, this seems like a lot of fish so I would like some input from people with experience, also I've read now that Dwarf Gourami are very disease prone, I love how they look and my honey gourami has an awesome personality, but if this is true I probably wont go with them anymore, is there any fish that you guys would recommend to replace it as a centerpiece fish? Is there any angels small enough for a 20 gal tall? The pH of my tank is 7, but I wont have the GH until Monday. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
What is the footprint of a 20 gallon tall? Some of the fish on your list need a tank at least 24 inches long. If a 20 gallon tall is that long, good :)

The thing that stands out to me is that you don't have enough of the shoaling fish in your list - everything except the gourami. I know from having kept them that harlequins and kuhlis do better with at least 10 of them.
White clouds also need cooler water than the other fish.

I would rather see just harlequins and kuhlis (GH permitting) but at least 10 of each.

What is the footprint of a 20 gallon tall? Some of the fish on your list need a tank at least 24 inches long. If a 20 gallon tall is that long, good :)

The thing that stands out to me is that you don't have enough of the shoaling fish in your list - everything except the gourami. I know from having kept them that harlequins and kuhlis do better with at least 10 of them.
White clouds also need cooler water than the other fish.

I would rather see just harlequins and kuhlis (GH permitting) but at least 10 of each.
Dimensions: 24 by 12 by 16, would I be able to add anything else to the tank with 10 kuhlis and 10 harlequins? Also what about my question about the Dwarf Gourami?

Last edited:
Dwarf gouramis do have a reputation be being infected by the time they reach the store. How do you feel about honey gouramis, Trichogaster chuna? A pair of these would work in this tank with harlequins and kuhlis, and they come in 2 colours, natural (tan male, beige female) and yellow. The fish sold as red honeys are often a different, larger species.

Depending on the GH of course.

A single pearl gourami would work, as well

Having pearl gouramis myself, I feel that a 24 inch long tank is a bit small for them. I'd rather see them in a bigger tank.

Dwarf gouramis do have a reputation be being infected by the time they reach the store. How do you feel about honey gouramis, Trichogaster chuna? A pair of these would work in this tank with harlequins and kuhlis, and they come in 2 colours, natural (tan male, beige female) and yellow. The fish sold as red honeys are often a different, larger species.

Hey, sorry for not responding for the past couple days. So I'm lucky to have this be my local fish store: https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/
looking on their website, they don't seem to have any dwarf gourami, they do have the 'royal blue' and 'powder blue' variants, would these work as well? I like how they look very much from pictures online.
Also, I couldn't really find anything on their website, do you guys know what the differences between the royal and powder blue, I have seen some websites say the royal blue has streaks of orange like the normal dwarf, along with other orange accents on the tail, but is this true? I would ask them but I don't plan on making it over there for another couple of days. Thanks again for any help :)

Gouramis are prone to disease and dwarf gouramis are susceptible to “dwarf gourami disease” so although they are great fish to have they can cause heartache for diseases that cannot be cured. Have you thought about dwarf cichlids? Rams, apistogramma, cockatoo etc. they are wonderful colourful additions

Update: Looking at German blue rams instead of dwarf gourami, would this be a good alternative? Thank you guys for all the help :) (Don't forget my question in my post above though haha)

Update: Looking at German blue rams instead of dwarf gourami, would this be a good alternative? Thank you guys for all the help :) (Don't forget my question in my post above though haha)

The problem with German Blue Rams is that they prefer warmer water than what your minnows or rasboras would want. You could do a Bolivian Ram, I think.

Hello! So I finished planting and preparing my 20 gallon tall community tank, I was using AqAdvisor to help choose fish, I settled on - 1x Dwarf Gourami - 5x White Cloud Mountain Minnow - 5x Harlequin Rasboras - 3x Kuhli Loach. (probably some shrimp and snails in the future)

AqAdvisor said this was 79% capacity on my tank, this seems like a lot of fish so I would like some input from people with experience, also I've read now that Dwarf Gourami are very disease prone, I love how they look and my honey gourami has an awesome personality, but if this is true I probably wont go with them anymore, is there any fish that you guys would recommend to replace it as a centerpiece fish? Is there any angels small enough for a 20 gal tall? The pH of my tank is 7, but I wont have the GH until Monday. Thanks in advance for the help.
Take a look on seriouslyfish.com and input your fish of choice. It’ll tell you group size minimums, water temp, water ph, water hardness, tank size, best tank mates etc for just about every possible fish available.
When I returned after 23 yrs away from fish the science had moved on. I found SF very helpful and drew up a list of fish and columns for all the stuff listed above.…….and don’t throw your list away becos it’ll save you doing a new one when you get a bigger tank.😉
Best of luck.

The problem with German Blue Rams is that they prefer warmer water than what your minnows or rasboras would want. You could do a Bolivian Ram, I think.
Yeah I saw that later, unfortunate.

Checked with my LFS, their Dwarf Gourami are sourced locally and checked for any signs of disease every morning, I visited today, the normal dwarfs, royal blue, and flame variants all looked incredibly healthy, I think I've decided to by from them.

Take a look on seriouslyfish.com and input your fish of choice. It’ll tell you group size minimums, water temp, water ph, water hardness, tank size, best tank mates etc for just about every possible fish available.
When I returned after 23 yrs away from fish the science had moved on. I found SF very helpful and drew up a list of fish and columns for all the stuff listed above.…….and don’t throw your list away becos it’ll save you doing a new one when you get a bigger tank.😉
Best of luck.
Thank you so much for the recommendation, I've tried on 4 different chrome accounts, after about 5-10 mins of browsing on this website, I randomly get blocked for, "Exceeded the maximum number of page not found errors per minute for humans." This isn't just a reply for you, I've been trouble shooting for a while, if anyone knows how to deal this I would really appreciate it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back