Is this overkill?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with a marineland 200 gph filter. Would it be overkill to get the 350 gph filter? The tank would have some fish that like current like dwarf neon rainbows and a panda garra and a bamboo shrimp if I can get one. It would most likely be overstocked but it is very heavily planted, floating plants, and would have an overkill filter.

I would love to get a panda garra, but I think they get big. Like 4+ inches. I could be confused and waaaaay wrong. They had some small ones at my LFS and I asked about them and the guy took me to another tank where an adult was and it was way bigger. They are ADORABLE babys.

I would love to get a panda garra, but I think they get big. Like 4+ inches. I could be confused and waaaaay wrong. They had some small ones at my LFS and I asked about them and the guy took me to another tank where an adult was and it was way bigger. They are ADORABLE babys.
Yep. I haven’t gotten mine yet but I heard they have some decent personality. Also, I’ve heard they only get to about 3 inches. I could be wrong.

They only get to be 2.5 inches long. ;)

I have a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with a marineland 200 gph filter. Would it be overkill to get the 350 gph filter? The tank would have some fish that like current like dwarf neon rainbows and a panda garra and a bamboo shrimp if I can get one. It would most likely be overstocked but it is very heavily planted, floating plants, and would have an overkill filter.
As long as any species in the tank are fine with the increased flow rate, there’s really no harm. Also, flow rates on filters aren’t entirely accurate, they tend to be a bit slower than advertised. Plants, decor, aquarium dimensions and the output method of the filter all are contributing factors as well.

As long as any species in the tank are fine with the increased flow rate, there’s really no harm. Also, flow rates on filters aren’t entirely accurate, they tend to be a bit slower than advertised. Plants, decor, aquarium dimensions and the output method of the filter all are contributing factors as well.
Ok. I think the rummy nose, dwarf neon rainbows, and panda garra will like the flow. What about the angel and kribensis? The kribensis stays at the bottom so I don’t think the flow would affect it but what about the angel?

Ok. I think the rummy nose, dwarf neon rainbows, and panda garra will like the flow. What about the angel and kribensis? The kribensis stays at the bottom so I don’t think the flow would affect it but what about the angel?
The angle might get pushed around a bit, you could try to divert the flow if that problem arose.

Angels and kribensis definitely prefer slow moving waters.

? I was way off. I wonder what I am remembering about why I decided against them? Maybe they needed to be in a group?
They need a 90cm x 30cm tank. (This is the smallest size that is recommended)

It is recommended that they be kept In groups of 3-4, to reduce aggression.

They also require a very extensive aquarium setup. (As far as water level, substrate, etc.)

I would provide a link, but why retarded iMac computer wont let me... :/

They need a 90cm x 30cm tank. (This is the smallest size that is recommended)

It is recommended that they be kept In groups of 3-4, to reduce aggression.

They also require a very extensive aquarium setup. (As far as water level, substrate, etc.)

I would provide a link, but why retarded iMac computer wont let me... :/
Thanks for the info. It was the group issue that held me back.
All I know is I locked eyes with that little heartbreaker and was smitten
They have such lucid eyes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back