Is this normal for shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ladykelly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have bloody Mary shrimp. I been reading up on them and I know they molt but one of my shrimp shell looks weird to me....and I'm unsure if I should be concerned or if it just going through a molt? It say eyes usually turn white though it's still black. As you can see the shell I'd cracked in the middle though....

Attachments

• 20190921_060215.jpg
    20190921_060215.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 197
I have bloody Mary shrimp. I been reading up on them and I know they molt but one of my shrimp shell looks weird to me....and I'm unsure if I should be concerned or if it just going through a molt? It say eyes usually turn white though it's still black. As you can see the shell I'd cracked in the middle though....

**** it's not normal I google it.... its called ring of death its molt didn't go well and I might lose it......

When I first bought cherry shrimp several years ago all of them died, and the bodies did have that same white line across the back. But I do not know if the line appeared after death or as a symptom of whatever the cause of death was.
I do know that when a shrimp moults, the old exoskeleton cracks at this point and the shrimps emerges through this crack. Yours may just be in the process of moulting, or it could possibly have the same problem that my cherry shrimps did. I would keep an eye on it and see what happens.

How long have you had the shrimps and have any others had this line, or died?

Well it's the only one with the issue. What I read is it could be caused by too much water changes. So I have to slow down my 20% water change ....There is a slim chance it can still survive and molt but.... thing is it seems to act normal besides that crack....its not hiding or acting sick. Has anyone else have this issue? Is there something I can do to help it?

When I first bought cherry shrimp several years ago all of them died, and the bodies did have that same white line across the back. But I do not know if the line appeared after death or as a symptom of whatever the cause of death was.
I do know that when a shrimp moults, the old exoskeleton cracks at this point and the shrimps emerges through this crack. Yours may just be in the process of moulting, or it could possibly have the same problem that my cherry shrimps did. I would keep an eye on it and see what happens.

How long have you had the shrimps and have any others had this line, or died?
Not long 2 weeks. I read that they will molt because of being put in a new environment which I believe all did. They are redder then before besides that one. Theres 6 in total.

It's a few years since I had the problems with my shrimps and I was told by someone who claimed to know a lot about shrimps that it was caused by a particular shrimp specific bacterium in my tank. She said the bacterium prevents the shrimp moulting properly. Whether this is true or not I can't say.
Every one of the cherry shrimps I bought died at the first moult after I got them. The last but one was a berried female; I moved her to my quarantine tank where the eggs hatched, and the mother then died. A large number of those baby shrimps survived and they were the start of my current shrimp colonies. Why should purchased adult shrimp have died when those that hatched in my tank did well?

Are any of your shrimps berried females (ie carrying eggs)? If there are some, you may have the same experience as me.

You mentioned water changes - my tanks have weekly 50% water changes and my shrimps don't have a problem with that.

One other thing to ask you - how hard is your water? I understand that very soft water can cause problems for shrimps.

No not yet... but besides that 1 they look healthy and act healthy. The one with the bar seems to act ok its not hiding just looks like crap to me.... it has that ring and the shell is definitely not new looking.its on the rock with java moss maybe looking for algae? If it was on its death bed wouldn't it try to hide? I still have fingers cross that it will molt but.... ring of death sound scary to me.

Theres tons of spots for them to hide but I think they love my planted tank set up and they come out all the time yo hang around in different areas

The best thing for now is to keep an eye on it. There is very little we can do for shrimps - I don't know of any shrimps medications, for example. Since all the rest seem fine, hopefully the rest will be fine.

Their behaviour sounds like my cherry shrimps - and Bloody Mary shrimps are a colour variant of cherry shrimps so the care is the same.

Sadly I know that but was wondering if there was a food that might help it with this. Something to give it a boost it might need to get out of the shell...... its annoying that it acting ok but I know it's not. If it can still eat I wonder if it be o and eventually get the strength to get out of the old shell....What I read is one of the problems of it not being able to get out of its shell is it effects its eating ability. Other is movement.... so far as I can tell it moves fine.

I was recommended by the person I mentioned to use beta G (ie beta glucans). It is not a cure, it is supposed to be an immunity booster. I got some from Ebay, I have no idea whether it really works or not as the shrimps I bought died before it arrived. But if you don't mind possibly wasting a bit of money you could give it a try.

image.jpg
I use Beta-G in my tanks once a week. I get very few shrimp deaths anymore. I ordered mine from EBay or Amazon. I also do a 50% water change twice a week and it doesn’t hurt my shrimp at all. I have over 109 shrimp in my colony now. Here’s a pic of the Beta-G. I also feed Hikari Crab Cuisine. Hope all improves.

That's the same beta G I got, so it's available everywhere.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back