Is this molly a boy or girl?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
If you tell a molly's gender the same way you do platies, I think it's a girl but I'm not certain.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 49
need a picture of the fish from side on with the anal fin extended.

Looks like a female but the fin needs to be extended to know for sure

It's a bit hard to tell from this picture. If this specimen would stretch out the anal fin, something about the sex can be told. Mind if the tip of the V-shaped anal fin looks sharp (or pointy) and not round edged, it will be a male for sure. If it stays round edged at the tip of the anal fin, it will be a female. So, the V-shape anal fin itself doesn't imply the gender yet. And also when the first finrays of the V-shaped anal fin are a bit thickened, it will be a male. And just know, that with most white colored females, a gravid spot will not be seen anyways.

With mollies the sex can be revealed early or even very late when they've hit adulthood.

Looks like a girl. You are overfeeding lol, their poop should be in little pellets, not strings.
I only feed them a pinch of flakes every day, from what I've seen this is just common for livebearers as I've never seen it in any other fish I've owned.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back