Is this ICK or something else - no spots just patches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I recently received an order from an online fish store that I've ordered from before and they breed nearly all their own stock. Huge variety of fish. Anyway - I ordered some Gourami and yesterday noticed silver patches around their mouth or eyes. I assumed it was ICK but then I looked at the pictures of ICK online and they all have little spots all over - none of mine have that - just patches of silver/white . I'll attach some pictures - these are new fish and a bit shy so it's hard to get pictures. I have one more like this - I believe they are all Honey Gourami. -On the first shot he/she has it all over ONE side of her face - it's more silver than white, the other side looks normal. On the second picture it's just a small spot under the eye and mouth on one side only and looks more white and less silverly. Water parameters are all normal. My water is a little bit on the hard side for Gourami but they usually live about 2 years (2-3 yrs is their normal tank life expectancy while in the wild they tend to live about 1 yr

Let me know what to think and what I should do about it - they all act normally and eat normally. I'm out of tanks to put them in right now. Thanks for your opinions.

Jan
Ick 2.JPG
ICK 3.JPG

Don't think this is ICH Jan, that's more of a dusting all over...I've never owned gourami so I can't help there, hopefully someone will be along soon to help you out! Hope you get it sorted ❤

I have no experience with gourami's so I can't say for sure. But I had some BN and NT that decolour when they are stressed. If you got them recently it may just be stress from handling or the trip from the breeder to your house.

1632088098705.png
1632088111284.png

These are pictures of that colouring naturally. It may just be it reaching maturity.

Well I thought it was curious that only this species had the silver/white patches but since they breed their own fish - some defect could have gotten into the Genetics. So far no other species in the tank have this disease and I have about 15 different varieties and nearly 30 fish. So I'm just going to ignore it for now. Just did a huge water change yesterday which is why we noticed the spots. Thanks everybody! I was just bragging the other day how the only disease I've ever had in my tanks was fish bladder and I actually believe I cured it in one of my DoJo loaches who's heart had stopped beating. I just did chest compessions and side compressions and a lot of nasty stuff came out (they are labyrinth fish with 2 water bladders. I had to do compressions off and on for over 4 hours - I could feel and see the water running through his water bladders and the clearer it became the better he seemed to feel. At 4 am I stopped and he has stayed alive since - I think he just got a clog or something. Not sure it would work on all fish. Dojo's are shaped like snakes with a walrus face and you can actually feel the water flowing through their bodies - with a fish like a Gourami I would be afraid of crushing some of its other internal organs, But i would certainly give it a try.

Yeah. I doubt it is some disease but I wouldn't ignore it. I would say it's just something in the genetics but many Gourami's seem to have it.

View attachment 143696View attachment 143697

These are pictures of that colouring naturally. It may just be it reaching maturity.
Op's fish aren't Dwarf Gouramis nor honeygouramis, they are a man made colorvariaty of Thicklipped Gouramis (T.labiosa)

I can't see what the spots are (unclear pics) but it definitely isn't Ich and I doubt it is natural.

Do they fight ? Battle scars ????

Op's fish aren't Dwarf Gouramis nor honeygouramis, they are a man made colorvariaty of Thicklipped Gouramis (T.labiosa)

I can't see what the spots are (unclear pics) but it definitely isn't Ich and I doubt it is natural.

Do they fight ? Battle scars ????
I have seen it in many Gourami's. I think it's nothing to worry about.

My old assistant stopped by and she looked at them and said "That's not ICK" (the student teaching the teacher LOL)

Hey there :)
No Ichthyophthirius "white spots" multifiliis here.
Could you give us more info ?
- ammonia
- nitrites
- nitrates
- GH
- KH
- pH

Yeah, orange morph Trichogaster labiosa.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back