Is this good enough?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hellon I Added some rizhone Java ferns about a month ago, but they seem to be pretty unhealthy(holes in the leaves and turning brownish). I give them 19 hours of of light. And use this two fertilizers
Could this be caused by:
1)Bad water quality (My ammonia and nitrate jumping up to 0.25)
2) excess of lighting (Before I was giving them up to 12-14 hours of light)
3) not enough lighting
4) I live in U.S Pennsylvania and the weather is changing

Attachments

• 1CF52159-212E-44A1-B472-83E10CE58C1E.jpeg
    1CF52159-212E-44A1-B472-83E10CE58C1E.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Java Ferns are low light requiring plants. Anything above 8-10 hours of tank lighting will usually be excessive for most aquarium plants, depending upon the intensity. Floating plants sometimes help reduce this for Ferns which do better in shade or indirect light. There are other factors though, which we don't have, but Java Ferns are slow growing which means less light intensity is needed to drive photosynthesis and fewer nutrients tyo balance the intensity.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is certainly sufficient for this plant; I know nothing about the Fluval product. I do hope you are not using both as that could cause issues for many plants.

Java Ferns are low light requiring plants. Anything above 8-10 hours of tank lighting will usually be excessive for most aquarium plants, depending upon the intensity. Floating plants sometimes help reduce this for Ferns which do better in shade or indirect light. There are other factors though, which we don't have, but Java Ferns are slow growing which means less light intensity is needed to drive photosynthesis and fewer nutrients tyo balance the intensity.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is certainly sufficient for this plant; I know nothing about the Fluval product. I do hope you are not using both as that could cause issues for many plants.
i started using both as th flourish wasnt “working”

Can you post a picture of the plant?

How bright are the lights, eg wattage vs tank size/ dimensions?

Do you have lots of floating plants in the tank?
These will reduce the light getting to plants at the bottom of the tank.

------------------------
Plants need 8 hours of rest each night so reduce the lighting time a bit. The maximum lighting time you can use each day is 16 hours.

Most people start with about 12 hours of light per day and then monitor the algae growth over the next week.
If you get lots of green algae growing everywhere, then reduce the lighting time.
If you get no green algae growing then increase the lighting time.
If you get a small amount of green algae on the glass, then the lighting period is about right.

Holes in the leaves can be from fish or snails grazing on the plants.

If the leaves are turning brown and becoming soft and mushy, they are rotting.
If the Java fern is new, it might have been grown out of water in a hydroponic system and when you put it underwater, the terrestrial leaves die off and the plant grows new aquatic leaves.

------------------------
Low levels of ammonia and nitrite do not normally cause problems to plants. Really high levels (above 10ppm) can burn them.

The weather shouldn't be an issue assuming the aquarium has a heater in and the water temperature is above 18C (64F).

------------------------
How often are you adding the fertiliser?
Plants like a steady supply of food (fertiliser) and if you add it once every couple of weeks they use it all up in a day or two and then have nothing left for the rest of the time. This can cause unusual growth.

If you add too much fertiliser too often, you can kill the plants.

Both of those products (SeaChem Flourish and Fluval Grow) appear to be trace elements. The Flourish is meant to have iron in it too but doesn't state percentages.

Most aquarium plants do well with an iron based fertiliser added several times a week. You get an Iron (Fe) test kit and monitor the iron levels in the water. You add iron based fertiliser as often as required to keep the iron level at the recommended level (about 1ppm I think it is).

You could try a different fertiliser too. I use Sera Florena, which is a liquid iron based fertiliser. If you could find the ingredients in the fertilisers you use, you could compare it to Sera Florena and see if one has more nutrients or a wider range of nutrients than the others.

i started using both as th flourish wasnt “working”

In addition to what Colin posted, I will just comment on this one point. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is one of the best liquid plant fertilizers available. It contains all necessary nutrients (with the exception of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon which are naturally occurring within the aquarium) but more importantly they are in the proportion to each other that most benefits aquatic plants. This is important because an excess of some nutrients can cause plants to "shut down" on others, and is as significant as would be a deficiency of certain nutrients. There has to be a balance, and this balance musty also be in balance with the light intensity (and duration though the intensity is the crucial aspect). Only then can plants photosynthesize well and algae will not be an issue.

For some reason I cannot find data on this product on the Fluval website, but it would seem to be a micro-nutrient product. It should not be necessary in combination with Flourish Comp but we don't know the light/CO2 aspects here so that might alter this. But too much fertilizer is usually detrimental not beneficial to the plants...and the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back