Is this goldfish savable?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Feeshee

Reaction score
The company I work for has a giant tank with 1 big gold fish and an African leaf fish. The gold fish is not doing well. It all started when they started doing remodeling and had to move the tank. They took out about half of the water and all of the little statues and kept a few fake plants. A few days later 1 of the 2 leaf fishes started laying at the bottom and not moving or eating. Usually it was always hungry. So it went on and got worse for another week or 2 before someone flushed it. Now, about 2 weeks later the big gold fish is doing the same thing. Laying at the bottom, not interested in food, and its fins arent all perky like the used to be. It used to eat non stop now nothing. I filled the tank back up with water but beyond that not sure what to do. I know nothing about any of this, looks like there is a water fall type filter and oxygen tubes blowing bubbles. I can provide pictures of the tank and fish when I get a chance. Thanks for any and all help.

Hi and welcome! Can we get a picture of the fish and tank? Did you use dechlorinator when you added water? I would do a 75% water change and see f they perk up any. Was the filter plugged in and going the whole time?

What is the tank size and what are it's water parameters?
The flushed goldie, was it still alive?

I believe the filter was plugged in the entire time. I am not sure what dechlorinator is nor do I think I've seen it around the office. Yesterday I added about 25% of the current water that is in it. Another thing is that I do not drink the water from the tap here, they are old pipes. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. And to Salt&Onion, it was another leaf fish that was flushed. Or I believe to be. I am not sure if it was alive when they flushed it or not, I was not here. 1 weird thing about that ones death was that even though it was lying flat on the floor, not swimming to eat, a piece of fish flake fell by its mouth and it ate it super quick like it was starving. But would not swim to get anymore. It was weird.
20200519_111520.jpg
20200519_111630.jpg
20200519_111708.jpg

The other leaf fish is as happy and hungry as ever.
20200519_111711.jpg

Chlorine in tap water will kill fish. You have to use a dechlorinator available at any fish store or in the U.S. Walmart. You need to do 50-75% water changes everyday for 10 days and see if he perks up. Remember to use dechlorinator. Then, the tank needs cleaning and water change once a week.

Chlorine in tap water will kill fish. You have to use a dechlorinator available at any fish store or in the U.S. Walmart. You need to do 50-75% water changes everyday for 10 days and see if he perks up. Remember to use dechlorinator. Then, the tank needs cleaning and water change once a week.
Agreed

I am not sure what water parameters are, I am slow lol. Deanasue, I will start with getting the dechlorinator solution and water change. I just walked by and saw the gold fish swimming around to the top and eventually went back down but it was good to see it moving. I appreciate all of the help. I hate seeing living things suffer.

Dechlorinator is another name for water conditioner - if the bottle of water conditioner says it removes chlorine, that's all you need.

Strictly speaking, water parameters are pH, GH, KH and temperature but a lot of people use the term for water conditions, which are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are harmful to fish at any level other than zero while nitrate is harmful above 20 ppm. We always ask for these when a fish is sick as high levels of ammonia or nitrite are often the cause.

I am not sure what water parameters are, I am slow lol. Deanasue, I will start with getting the dechlorinator solution and water change. I just walked by and saw the gold fish swimming around to the top and eventually went back down but it was good to see it moving. I appreciate all of the help. I hate seeing living things suffer.
Kudos to you for helping this guy. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back