Is this fish pregnant? How can I help?

heyitsmejess

Reaction score
Hey guys- my platy looks fat- is it pregnant? I honestly donā€™t even know if sheā€™s female? Also, how do I help her? If sheā€™s pregnant? Do I give her her own tank with plants? If I need plants- which ones? Can I put fake ones??

Hey guys- my platy looks fat- is it pregnant? I honestly donā€™t even know if sheā€™s female? Also, how do I help her? If sheā€™s pregnant? Do I give her her own tank with plants? If I need plants- which ones? Can I put fake ones??View attachment 117308
She doesnā€™t look pregnant from the picture , can you maybe take more, (including one from the other side? Thanks. Best of luck.

Hey guys- my platy looks fat- is it pregnant? I honestly donā€™t even know if sheā€™s female? Also, how do I help her? If sheā€™s pregnant? Do I give her her own tank with plants? If I need plants- which ones? Can I put fake ones?? View attachment 117301View attachment 117300
Yes, that is a female. She looks fairly large, if I honestly canā€™t tell if sheā€™s pregnant from the pictures. If she is, sheā€™s not extremely far along. Hope that helps!

Thank you! Should I separate her? Or just leave her in the main tank? I also think sheā€™s the only female- the store told me they were all male....

Thank you! Should I separate her? Or just leave her in the main tank? I also think sheā€™s the only female- the store told me they were all male....
You have to look at the fin. This will help.
22142652-59B0-4642-87CE-82643FB6DA51.png

If she IS the only female, it could cause problems later. Generally you want a ratio of 3:1 females to males. If not that 2:1. You donā€™t want multiple males and only one female, they will chase her and tire her out. Personally, I donā€™t think there is any reason to move her. Unless she seems to be close to giving birth, or is exausted from the males pretty bad, I would just leave her where she is. :)
22142652-59B0-4642-87CE-82643FB6DA51.png

You have to look at the fin. This will help.View attachment 117317
If she IS the only female, it could cause problems later. Generally you want a ratio of 3:1 females to males. If not that 2:1. You donā€™t want multiple males and only one female, they will chase her and tire her out. Personally, I donā€™t think there is any reason to move her. Unless she seems to be close to giving birth, or is exausted from the males pretty bad, I would just leave her where she is. :)View attachment 117317

Thank you so much!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back