Is this fin rot?? Or something else? PLEASE HELP.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

JackieP

Reaction score
Ok so Iā€™ve been on here already because my betta fish has some tears in her fins and Iā€™m trying to figure out why. But look at these pictures of before and after. Thatā€™s how her fins looked month ago and thatā€™s how they look now. Like doesnā€™t that look like fin rot or something? They look like completely different fins. She acts fine she eats and swims around a lot but I really do think she might have something wrong. Should I buy some medication?

Attachments

• 31446FD9-059A-4AEA-B7BF-3108E76A3C0A.png
    31446FD9-059A-4AEA-B7BF-3108E76A3C0A.png
    616.8 KB · Views: 100
  • E1D544F7-1005-4207-9215-55E96D1B5741.jpeg
    E1D544F7-1005-4207-9215-55E96D1B5741.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 87
Ok so Iā€™ve been on here already because my betta fish has some tears in her fins and Iā€™m trying to figure out why. But look at these pictures of before and after. Thatā€™s how her fins looked month ago and thatā€™s how they look now. Like doesnā€™t that look like fin rot or something? They look like completely different fins. She acts fine she eats and swims around a lot but I really do think she might have something wrong. Should I buy some medication?
I wouldnā€™t recommend jumping to a medication without having a clear view on what the issue is, if there is one to see. If you fill this out, we can help figure out the problem sooner:

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

I wouldnā€™t recommend jumping to a medication without having a clear view on what the issue is, if there is one to see. If you fill this out, we can help figure out the problem sooner:

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:
Youā€™re right sorry Iā€™m new to this whole thing kinda. Iā€™ve had my fish in the tank only since August 31st. I cycled my tank before I put my fish in. Iā€™ve done a partial water change every week. My tank is 5.5 gallons. Like a month after I got my fish she tore her fin and then it healed completely in a few days. Then it tore again and it never healed again. I have all silk plants I tried finding something sharp but didnā€™t. Maybe itā€™s one of my plants. I feel really bad.
PH: 6.9
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Tank temp: 79 degrees
I see I have ammonia. I really shouldā€™ve checked earlier I just checked not that long ago and it was always 0 I donā€™t know what happened. I havenā€™t added anything new to the tank or exposed her to anything. I know I should probably do a big water change. Please let me know thanks.

Youā€™re right sorry Iā€™m new to this whole thing kinda. Iā€™ve had my fish in the tank only since August 31st. I cycled my tank before I put my fish in. Iā€™ve done a partial water change every week. My tank is 5.5 gallons. Like a month after I got my fish she tore her fin and then it healed completely in a few days. Then it tore again and it never healed again. I have all silk plants I tried finding something sharp but didnā€™t. Maybe itā€™s one of my plants. I feel really bad.
PH: 6.9
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Tank temp: 79 degrees
I see I have ammonia. I really shouldā€™ve checked earlier I just checked not that long ago and it was always 0 I donā€™t know what happened. I havenā€™t added anything new to the tank or exposed her to anything. I know I should probably do a big water change. Please let me know thanks.
Yes, a large water change should help with the ammonia at least. I'm not an expert on bettas specifically, but I know ammonia or other unsafe parameters could make it much harder for the fish to heal. @PheonixKingZ ? I know you're the betta expert, what do you think about the fins? :/

Yes, a large water change should help with the ammonia at least. I'm not an expert on bettas specifically, but I know ammonia or other unsafe parameters could make it much harder for the fish to heal. @PheonixKingZ ? I know you're the betta expert, what do you think about the fins? :/
As I answered in your PM @JackieP, yes, daily water changes will help bring that ammonia down. 40%+ daily should do the trick.

The water changes will also help with the torn fins. I would do 70%+ for the fins.

Thanks for your help! :)

No problem! Hope he gets better. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back