Is this ember tetra?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I am a Newby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Cant remeber what tetra this is as store worker gave me few names wasnt sure exactly.
He said they dont grow more then this that they had them in tank for 3 months now and no growth happened.
I been lookeing online and from what ive seen might be ember or some other type?

I don't think those are Hyphessobrycon amandae (Ember Tetra). On this fish (Ember) the dorsal fin is black or lightly shaded black usually. The dorsal fins on the fish in the video seem to be white. There are a number of very similar tetras being imported these days, and I won't make a guess as I am not that familiar with them (not available here) but stores usually have the scientific name provided by the distributor on their invoice, so you might get a clue if you ask the store for this name. These are in a clade temporarily assigned to the genus Hyphessobrycon that incudes the Rosy Tetra, Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, and others commonly called Ornate, Candy-Stripe, etc.

Yeah they have no clue mate they gave me 3 difrrent names that it might be but nothing certain.

All the stores get young good lokeing girls to work and they have no idea what they selling she has a list but doenst know in what tank that fish is so no help there. And owner dont care he wont even answer his phone when workers call him he likes money that store brings him and he dont care.

Yeah they have no clue mate they gave me 3 difrrent names that it might be but nothing certain.

If the names were common names like Ember Tetra etc, they are likely meaningless. But if they gave a scientific name, that might be more accurate.

I would say yes, embers. Mine have orange on the front of the dorsal, black to the rear of the dorsal, and the orange part catches the light looking pale in contrast with the black. Yours are pale overall, I remember @Byron saying that a paler version, possibly from a different location, was becoming prevalent in the hobby.

Well, the video is not the clearest, and the fish are swimming rather fast making it even less clear to see. It may not be as distinctive as it appears in this video. And Seriously Fish does have a photo that may answer the question [attached below]. BTW, I am not aware of other differences between the two wild forms aside from the overall paler (more yellow I suppose) colour compared to the nice brilliant red-orange.

Attachments

• Hyphessobrycon amandae4.jpg
    Hyphessobrycon amandae4.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 59

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back