Is this corydora healthy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a sole survivor after disease wiped out my group. I'm not sure what it is that they had, I've asked around on different sites and got varying answers, internal parasites, bacterial infection, gill flukes, and even fish TB. I wanted to ask on here if he looks healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 48
Here's my suggestion. Hit google and type in an image search for "Corydoras paleatus". That's what I think you have, although the image is grainy. Don't count on online voices - I write like I know what I'm doing but maybe I'm a 12 year old boy with a lot of self confidence. It would be the 1970s with no internet if that were the case, but who knows when we type?
Compare your fish with the many images you'll find. Then you can judge for yourself.

Here's my suggestion. Hit google and type in an image search for "Corydoras paleatus". That's what I think you have, although the image is grainy. Don't count on online voices - I write like I know what I'm doing but maybe I'm a 12-year-old boy with a lot of self-confidence. It would be the 1970s with no internet if that were the case, but who knows when we type?
Compare your fish with the many images you'll find. Then you can judge for yourself.
I would judge for myself, but I thought they were fine before until submitting a photo and I was wrong. Also, I don't think there's any need in using the scientific name.

Here's my suggestion. Hit google and type in an image search for "Corydoras paleatus". That's what I think you have, although the image is grainy. Don't count on online voices - I write like I know what I'm doing but maybe I'm a 12 year old boy with a lot of self confidence. It would be the 1970s with no internet if that were the case, but who knows when we type?
i think Corydoras Aeneus is more like it
i have many of those and they resemble the photos

Also, I don't think there's any need in using the scientific name
With scientific names there is no (less?) ambiguity across regions and cultures. Even more important given the number of Cory species.

From wiki (only because it was easy)
There are currently 161 recognized extant species in this genus, as well as one known extinct species:

I would judge for myself, but I thought they were fine before until submitting a photo and I was wrong. Also, I don't think there's any need in using the scientific name.
It's all a matter of becoming informed. Knowledge is power. If you want the best info, the scientific name is essential. In some cases a fish can have half a dozen different English names, in different countries. I've seen some advice go seriously crazy when several people gave good answers but about totally different fish with the same marketing name. If you think the trade is shady about disease management (if you do, you're right), watch how they change the names on some fish to make them seem 'new'. Your Cory has been sold as salt and pepper Cory, Pepper Cory, Mottled Cory, Blue Mottled Cory...

The photo's grainy, and it could be aeneus. But the big patch on the back of the head would be normal for paleatus and not normal for aeneus....

It's all a matter of becoming informed. Knowledge is power. If you want the best info, the scientific name is essential. In some cases a fish can have half a dozen different English names, in different countries. I've seen some advice go seriously crazy when several people gave good answers but about totally different fish with the same marketing name. If you think the trade is shady about disease management (if you do, you're right), watch how they change the names on some fish to make them seem 'new'. Your Cory has been sold as salt and pepper Cory, Pepper Cory, Mottled Cory, Blue Mottled Cory...

The photo's grainy, and it could be aeneus. But the big patch on the back of the head would be normal for paleatus and not normal for aeneus....
1658781303925.png
my aeneus have this patch on the back of their head, not sure if thatiswhat you are talking about :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back