Is This Catfish Really Venomous?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ksenia

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I live an Israel and recently I caught some species of catfish in the Mediterranean Sea. I identified it as Striped eel catfish (Plotosus lineatus)- see the photos below. I have to say I am not an expert in fish and it was stupid to catch a fish if I didn't even know it's name. The fact is- it stung my finger. The finger swelled and became red immediatly after the sting. But it wasn't hurt much. After 2.5 hours almost everything vanished. After searching the internet, I discovered that this fish has "highly venomous serrate spine of the first dorsal and each of the pectoral fins are dangerous, and even fatal in rare cases" (http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Plotosus-lineatus.html). But nothing happened to me, except of swelled finger. Is this fish really that venomous or am I venom-stable? Maybe I didn't identify it correctly?
 Thank you for your help!
       Good day.

eMgbw-OpsZQ.jpg
x0nrKULOH8w.jpg

Since I gather this fish was found in a marine environment I'm going to move it over to the marine fish section. Hopefully someone will be able to help with the ID on this one soon.

I have always believed that species of catfish to pack a punch, they are reported to inflict more pain than you would expect from such a small wound.
Maybe you where just lucky and only got a glancing strike from the catfish.
If the pain wasn't severe I would still keep an eye out for future infections around the site that the spine went in, almost all sea creatures have some rather nasty bacteria housed on their spines to give that extra degree of lesson teaching to the unwary.

Maybe you are like that snake guy who I saw on Vice..
Congrats! You are immune to this fish!

Edit: don't believe me, I'm crazy.

I dont think its venomous now that you are still alive.:):)

This is a four year old thread; please don't bump threads this old, it's not helpful :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back