April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Eridinus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Is this female Boesmani a hybrid?

The video doesn't do it justice, but she goes like completely dark blue when laying eggs.

Female boesemani do have some dark markings when breeding but I don't recall them having black lines like that. Having said that, I don't know of any rainbowfish that have black lines running vertically up and down the body.

You need a picture on the back of the tank and some Duckweed on the surface for them to eat.

Give the female a few more months to grow and see how she looks then.

Female boesemani do have some dark markings when breeding but I don't recall them having black lines like that. Having said that, I don't know of any rainbowfish that have black lines running vertically up and down the body.

You need a picture on the back of the tank and some Duckweed on the surface for them to eat.

Give the female a few more months to grow and see how she looks then.

Thats exactly what threw me off in the first place, thought she was a turquoise on the shop because she was so dark and blue.

Can't put a picture on as this tank was set up to be viewed from both sides - I'll get some duckweed today :) made a little floating ring out of air tube.

She looks like a hybrid to me.

I agree with @Colin_T, way I please see a picture of the fish, closer up? :)

Vertical lines are common with female Bosesemani. Their color can vary depending on the quality and location they came from. As Colin suggested, wait a bit and see what she looks like.

Last edited:
http://imgur.com/a/rY3BUJO

Here is an album of pics. You can really see the black lines in them.

She's about 4 and a half inches, and flashes gold on top of her head just like my lacustris rainbows.

Can you check the size of your fish?
The fish does not look like it is four and a half inches long. My guess is the fish is about 2 inches and is a young male.

Melanotaenia praecox (neon blue rainbows) only grow to about 2 inches maximum and the boesemani is a similar size the male M. praecox.

Male rainbowfish produce a dorsal blaze, which is the gold, white or pink stripe that flashes on and off when they breed. This stripe is located on top of the head and runs from the start of the first dorsal fin and goes down to the nose. Female rainbowfish do not produce a dorsal blaze.

Can you check the size of your fish?
The fish does not look like it is four and a half inches long. My guess is the fish is about 2 inches and is a young male.

Melanotaenia praecox (neon blue rainbows) only grow to about 2 inches maximum and the boesemani is a similar size the male M. praecox.

Male rainbowfish produce a dorsal blaze, which is the gold, white or pink stripe that flashes on and off when they breed. This stripe is located on top of the head and runs from the start of the first dorsal fin and goes down to the nose. Female rainbowfish do not produce a dorsal blaze.

My bad, I'm terrible at estimating. Used a ruler and she's more like 3 inches.

Even if it is a male, I'm still intrigued by the black vertical stripes.

My bad, I'm terrible at estimating. Used a ruler and she's more like 3 inches.

Even if it is a male, I'm still intrigued by the black vertical stripes.

I have had a few Boesmani over the years with stripes similar. In fact my current tank has one with a fairly thick one in the middle and a little one just next to it.

Lunar Jetman:

I see a Fish of the Month winner in your future. Next FOTM starts around august 15th.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back