Is this black algae the likely culprit?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

serarand

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As of late (last 6-8 month) I have not been very successful keeping my plants for very long. Is this black algae that you see on the leaves of this Amazon sword the likely culprit? Any suggestions to keep it under the control, any suggestions are welcomed!
IMG_7699.JPG

Well, it certainly won't help. There is a clear problem in the light/nutrient balance, so let's sort it out. First, what is the light data, including spectrum? How long is the light on each day, and is it controlled by a timer so it is consistent? Are you using any plant ferts/additives, and if so, what?

Hello. Some algae is essential for a healthy tank. Algae is a simple thing, not really a plant. It's simple, but will use excess dissolved food in the water. This easiest way to slow its growth is to reduce the amount you feed. Fish can easily get by on a little variety fed every other day. You can also introduce floating plants to the tank like Anacharis, Hornwort and Dwarf Water Lettuce. These plants take in nutrients much faster than forms of algae. There's an upside to black algae. If allowed to grow undisturbed, it will become long and bushy and really looks good in the tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Well, it certainly won't help. There is a clear problem in the light/nutrient balance, so let's sort it out. First, what is the light data, including spectrum? How long is the light on each day, and is it controlled by a timer so it is consistent? Are you using any plant ferts/additives, and if so, what?
I have two tanks, both with the same problem... black algae and neither has a sophisticated light system. The one if my office only has two lights colors: bright white and blue light. Most of the time it is set in bright white light and it is controlled by timer from 10:00am to 5:30pm every day. The tank is next to a window that has blinds so I can kind of control how much light comes from the . I used a few "Flourish" tabs for a new plant I bought but did not really help. No other additives in the water. My other tank only has one light color (white)... I will setup a timer.

I have two tanks, both with the same problem... black algae and neither has a sophisticated light system. The one if my office only has two lights colors: bright white and blue light. Most of the time it is set in bright white light and it is controlled by timer from 10:00am to 5:30pm every day. The tank is next to a window that has blinds so I can kind of control how much light comes from the . I used a few "Flourish" tabs for a new plant I bought but did not really help. No other additives in the water. My other tank only has one light color (white)... I will setup a timer.
The white light is the best for plants. Blue in excess of what is needed will cause problem algae. So will light that is on past the balance with available nutrients. Flourish Tabs are excellent for substrate rooted plants as they feed the roots but do not dissolve nutrients into the upper water column which would encourage algae. Duration is important, it must balance the nutrients, but the spectrum and intensity must also be balanced. From what you have mentioned, I would suggest reducing the light period.

Ambient room light does factor in. For two years I wondered why black brush algae increased during the summer months, then it struck me that the daylight entering the windows even with blinds closed all day was more intense and longer than in winter. I blacked out the windows (easy to do in a dedicated fish room) and end of problem algae for years now.

Hello. Some algae is essential for a healthy tank. Algae is a simple thing, not really a plant. It's simple, but will use excess dissolved food in the water. This easiest way to slow its growth is to reduce the amount you feed. Fish can easily get by on a little variety fed every other day. You can also introduce floating plants to the tank like Anacharis, Hornwort and Dwarf Water Lettuce. These plants take in nutrients much faster than forms of algae. There's an upside to black algae. If allowed to grow undisturbed, it will become long and bushy and really looks good in the tank.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Thanks, this is good advice. I definitely feel like I'm over feeding the fish. I will switch to feed them every other day.
The white light is the best for plants. Blue in excess of what is needed will cause problem algae. So will light that is on past the balance with available nutrients. Flourish Tabs are excellent for substrate rooted plants as they feed the roots but do not dissolve nutrients into the upper water column which would encourage algae. Duration is important, it must balance the nutrients, but the spectrum and intensity must also be balanced. From what you have mentioned, I would suggest reducing the light period.

Ambient room light does factor in. For two years I wondered why black brush algae increased during the summer months, then it struck me that the daylight entering the windows even with blinds closed all day was more intense and longer than in winter. I blacked out the windows (easy to do in a dedicated fish room) and end of problem algae for years now.
Thanks, lots of action items to take on your sound advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back