Is this aquarium gravel okay?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlazerBuddy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I found this aquarium gravel on Amazon for $2.59 and decided to buy 3 bags. Totally oblivious to the fact that some of these reviews were saying it killed their Betta... I just saw 11,021 ratings and thought it would be good. Would this gravel be okay if I had a Betta?

Link- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TGMLXM/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
White is the worst colour you can have for a substrate. Light reflects off white, and this can be problematic for fish, as it is completely unnatural.

The other thing to worry about is what this is made of; white is often calcareous, which will increase GH and pH. There are times when this can be advantageous (for hardwater fish species), but not with a betta or soft water fish. If coated somehow, the white may come off as much as the black.

I had black gravel back in the 1980's and after a few months the black began coming off revealing blue gravel. I got it out of the fish tanks pronto.

All of these gravels are advertised as good under Glo lighting...do you have that? I would get a basic neutral hue sand or fine gravel for a betta tank. It will not stress the betta, and the beautiful colours of the fish will be displayed.

get natural sand or something. any gravel that’s painted can be toxic for your fish. i used to have natural gravel, that was a bit more expensive but it didn’t have paint that could rub off and my fish were fine.

White is the worst colour you can have for a substrate. Light reflects off white, and this can be problematic for fish, as it is completely unnatural.

The other thing to worry about is what this is made of; white is often calcareous, which will increase GH and pH. There are times when this can be advantageous (for hardwater fish species), but not with a betta or soft water fish. If coated somehow, the white may come off as much as the black.

I had black gravel back in the 1980's and after a few months the black began coming off revealing blue gravel. I got it out of the fish tanks pronto.

All of these gravels are advertised as good under Glo lighting...do you have that? I would get a basic neutral hue sand or fine gravel for a betta tank. It will not stress the betta, and the beautiful colours of the fish will be displayed.
Would this be good?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085BTKNR7/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
yes, but the reviews are saying the pebbles are bigger than expected. one said they are the size of a quarter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back