Is This An Egg Sack From... Something!?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

adam9175

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just been cleaning out my external filter and lifted out a media tray to find what I think is an egg sack from something! Does anyone have any idea what it might be from (and if I should get rid of it)? The thing I'm really confused is that its about 5 cm long and there really shouldn't be anything in there which I can imagine would give something THAT big!

Thanks, Adam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82237482@N06/8129043982/

Do you have any snails? Looks like a snail egg sack to me.

Get rid of it. Know that for sure. Could be a parasite incubating, or, as Crossfire said, snails, in wich case if it hatched your tank would be overrun with tuem.

possible closed and bleached aiptasia but can't find a good close up of an aips foot to be sure.

Doubt it. Jellyfish don't leave polyps on the bottom of a aquarium lid. The polyps attach to either the floor or live rock.

And their polyps look like this

5403349208_71b4770414_z.jpg

Doesn't match the jelly polyps I have seen.

Looks to be some sort of incredibly upset anemone, possibly a damaged one. I have pulled out things that look like that from tanks that have a lot of hidden Aiptasias. Because it is transparent, you can see the mesenterial fillaments if you look closely, and it also appears to be sending buds off of the base. The only odd thing is the lack of obvious tentacles since Aiptasia can't pull them into the gastric cavity, but that kind of appearance can be caused if the anemone was badly torn up or if the disc area got chemically burned by something recently (e.g. a salt crust falling on it).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back