Is This An Aquatic Plant Or Not? If So What Is It Please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mamashack

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
382370_159042487585596_1613085986_n.jpg

Can anyone ID the plant in the foreground please? I know the one at the back is Java fern (on stone)
Someone has suggested this one might not even be aquatic altho at first they thought it was a Crypto.
It's not easy to see on this pic but the edges of the leaves are red.
Any help would be much appreciated - cheers!

It'd be nice to have a bigger picture, but I thought it was a crypt when I saw it.

382370_159042487585596_1613085986_n.jpg

Same picture enlarged Dr Rob Will try to get one with more detail if you need it
Well that didn't work - will try later! lol

487325_159157454240766_147400616_n.jpg

Hopefully bigger picture with a January born platy for good measure! lol

Sorry - bit too big now!
whistling.gif

I was in Pets at Home today and I saw this plant for sale so I asked them what it was.  The staff looked it up in the order catalogue and it's labelled as "Cordyline species".

I'm no expert on aquatic plants but I've never heard of an aquatic Cordyline... somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect this is a non-aquatic plant.  It was right next to the white and green striped plant in the catalog which is famous for being non-aquatic.

The weird thing was, they said that both plants are supplied by Tropica - who you'd trust to know an aquatic from a non-aquatic plant
blink.png

Here it is... http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4741

Listed as one of the house plants to avoid :(  Sorry

Aye, it does look like a cordyline. Tropica sell them because tropica don't just do aquarium plants. They sell for all sorts of purposes and terrariums and paludriums grow these things.

So should I get rid then? It still looks healthy altho it's only been in there 5 days.

Just checked your link Daize and it looks very much like the Cordyline red edge special. Think I'll take it back and swap it for more Cabomba (caroliniana?) - I quite like that one! Many thanks DrRob and Daize! Problem solved!

Take it out, or put it in a pot. makes a nice houseplant.

I'll take it back to Pets At Home and ask for a swap. I've always found them very helpful before so hopefully they will exchange it.
I'll print out that article Daize just in case so I can show them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back