Is This An Allright Stock For My 300l?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Camad727

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all I am in the middle of stocking my 300L tank and was wanting some advice on my final stocking plan. Like compatability issues, overcrowding, and just general insight. ok her eit is:

5 Boesemani Rainbows
5 Silver Angelfish
1 Senegal Bichir
1 Blue Acara
4 Clown Loaches
1 Gold Nugget Pleco

AM I understocked here? Btw the filtration is the Juwel Rio internal that came with it and a tetra tec ex 700 external filter.

thanks for n e help :)

The Golden Nugget Pleco is one of the more sensitive Plecs, so you'd be best adding him when the tank is nice and mature.
Clown Loaches also like a mature tank and are best kept in groups of 5+. They will eventually grow to 12" and are quite active.
Angels can be quite sensitive too, so wait a few months before adding any. Take into account that when they get bigger, they are likely to pair off so you may need to rehome some of them.
Rainbows are a little hardier than most but it's still best waiting a couple of months before adding these. They are quite a docile fish and their colours are fantastic as they mature.
I've been reading up on Blue Acara as it's a fish that I'm interested in. Seems they are one of the "unpredictable" fish as they can be fairly peaceful although some people have experienced aggression with them. If they are like most Cichlids, then I should imagine they are more territorial when it comes to breeding.
Not sure on the Senegal Birchir, I'm afraid.

The Golden Nugget Pleco is one of the more sensitive Plecs, so you'd be best adding him when the tank is nice and mature.
Clown Loaches also like a mature tank and are best kept in groups of 5+. They will eventually grow to 12" and are quite active.
Angels can be quite sensitive too, so wait a few months before adding any. Take into account that when they get bigger, they are likely to pair off so you may need to rehome some of them.
Rainbows are a little hardier than most but it's still best waiting a couple of months before adding these. They are quite a docile fish and their colours are fantastic as they mature.
I've been reading up on Blue Acara as it's a fish that I'm interested in. Seems they are one of the "unpredictable" fish as they can be fairly peaceful although some people have experienced aggression with them. If they are like most Cichlids, then I should imagine they are more territorial when it comes to breeding.
Not sure on the Senegal Birchir, I'm afraid.

Hi,

Well the 4 clown loaches are allready in the tank with the 5 boesemani and golden nugget and are all doing great. The tank has been running for a couple of months now. So it is the 5 angels, bichir and blue acara that i will be adding.

Yeh I am fascinated with the blue acara, it seems like an amazingly colourfull fish with lots of personality. I am planning on getting all of these fish in a bunch from trimar.co.uk sometime soon, so any other advice would b great

thanks for the help

for that size tank i think you going to be overstocked. if you go by the 1" per gallon rule you're going to be waay overstocked.

Clown loaches, as said before, get to about 12" and they're pretty active.
Angels get to about 6"
Blue acaras grow to somewhere between 8"-10" i think
senegals grow to about 12"

that's 98 inches right there and that's not including the rainbows or nugget.

i don't mean to say that you can't do this if you want to but maybe if you dropped the senegal and 3 angels of your list it would be better.

in the end it's your set up so it's really up to you.

Good luck

for that size tank i think you going to be overstocked. if you go by the 1" per gallon rule you're going to be waay overstocked.

Clown loaches, as said before, get to about 12" and they're pretty active.
Angels get to about 6"
Blue acaras grow to somewhere between 8"-10" i think
senegals grow to about 12"

that's 98 inches right there and that's not including the rainbows or nugget.

i don't mean to say that you can't do this if you want to but maybe if you dropped the senegal and 3 angels of your list it would be better.

in the end it's your set up so it's really up to you.

Good luck

From what Iv read and been told clown loaches grow very slowly and take a long time to reach their maximum sizes. The tank is fine for now, when they eventually outgrow it in maybe a year. I will probably get a larger tank to accomodate the fish. I was just wondering about any compatability issues tbh

If you buy the polypterus and the blue acara at the youngest size you can find then you will be limiting any compatibility issues.

The 1" per gallon rule doesn't really do justice with any of these species.

From what Iv read and been told clown loaches grow very slowly and take a long time to reach their maximum sizes. The tank is fine for now, when they eventually outgrow it in maybe a year. I will probably get a larger tank to accomodate the fish. I was just wondering about any compatability issues tbh
sorry...you didn't mention that you would be upgrading tanks later so i assumed that it was going to be a permanent set up. if you do decide to upgrade to a bigger tank then what you have is fine if you get the senegal very small. polys grow fast and they are carnivores. they'll eat anything that will fit in their mouth and you'd be very surprise by what they will try to fit in their mouth.

as for the 1" per gallon rule, it is a decent way to judge stocking capacity. if taken as what it is. a loose way to judge

Hello,
I've had Blue Acaras and they can get pretty territorial, so may chase the Angels depending on mood. By getting only one Acara you won't have to deal with there breeding habits> chase a lot! (A cave/plant-pot for it to feel secure is good)

If you decide to get 6 Angels, then small ones that eventually pair off may be an idea?
Four Angels might give more area for the rest, especially Clown Loaches. > By the way, It took about 2 years for my C.Loaches to reach 8inches in a 200L tank.

Hope you decide wisely.

:good:

Even if a Polypterus Senegalus can't fit a fish (i.e. a Bosemani Rainbow) in it's mouth, it will latch on to the fish with it's powerful jaws and perform a death roll, which is where the Birchir will roll round and round in the water tearing off chunks of it's prey.

I'd say only large fish with birchirs :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back