Is this an algae, and if not is it a problem?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sparkyjf

Reaction score
Hi all

Over the past couple of weeks I have had this (see photo) spread across the surface of my tropical aquarium. It seems benign as far as I can tell - all life in the tank is currently happy, and they look like tiny little floating plants/leaves - I couldn't get a good photo of the underside but I almost wonder if I can see little roots hanging down from them? But then they've spread across the surface like an algae might.

In short, I'm lost! Does anyone know what this is, and is it a problem/needs removal/treatment? I could quite easily scoop it off the water surface but it would just spread again given it's current behaviour so thinking I need to at least know what I'm working with!

Thank you :)
IMG_3499.jpeg

Duckweed. Very invasive and almost impossible to get rid of. Leave just one leaf behind the heater and it'll be back.

I have duckweed in my tanks. I have no idea where it came from, it just appeared one day. I'm trying hard to get rid of it but with all the frogbit in there, it's impossible 😢

Duckweed does not survive in my tank. It contains a goldfish. Duckweed is a favorite of goldfish and would always be eaten before it is able to propagate. That being said - it was quite annoying in my guppy tank when I had it.

NOT algae.
As already said, it's duckweed. Provides shade and takes up ammonia, etc., from the water.
The main issue, as you've already discovered, is that it grows prolifically and, once you've got it, it is VERY hard to remove.
You can try and scoop it all out, but you might surprise yourself and find that it comes back again...and again...and again.

Definitely not algae. As others have said, it’s duckweed.

It’s up to you if you want to remove it or not.

So, your first question is answered.

Regarding your second question, no, it isn't really a problem. In fact it is very beneficial to your water quality and thus to your fish. But it grows like the weed it is. If you like it,, that's a good thing! Just Scoop it out by the handful when there is too much. If you ever decide you want to get rid of it, you'll have a long task getting it all, but it can be done.

I used to have duckweed and I kind of liked it. I probably would have kept it except that the hang-on-back filter would churn it all over the tank every time I did a water change. Made a terrible mess. If I'd had a different kind of filter, it would have been fine.

My advice is let it grow for now and enjoy your fish keeping. :)

I remove as much as I can at every water change as I have other floating plants but there's always a lot left. The photo looks like you also have water sprite floating in the tank, so you'll find it hard to remove as well. Duckweed isn't bad, it just tries to take over, and members have reported it getting sucked into HOB filters. I have internals not hobs so that's not a problem for me. Just net some out when you do a water change to keep it under control.

I concur with others that this is duckweed, Lemna minor. Some arrived on plants several years ago, and I allowed it (deliberately) to take hold in my 10g and have had it ever since. As already mentioned, it is valuable to use nutrients (ammonia/ammonium) and provide shade, and this is useful especially in fry tanks for Corydoras and other catfish fry that tend to remain down in the tank.

I keep it out of other tanks--it easily spreads during water changes, unnoticed usually, until the following week when there will be maybe a dozen little plants. I have never found these difficult to remove; use a small fish net and it is easily accomplished. A few of the plants in any tank is not problematic anyway, if you manage to do the weekly/regular culling at the water change.

Thanks so much everyone for your detailed and informative responses - I had no idea what it was! Truth is, I actually quite like it, and although I didn't know where it came from (it just appeared one day, and I hadn't bought any plants for fish recently), I was quite excited as I thought it looked nice. It has spread prolifically but I just scooped a whole load out last night and I'm sure it'll grow again (as a weed would!!). So I'll elect to keep it - I think my concern was more if it was harmful, and now that I know it's not, I'm happy to keep it and will just manage it's volume...

Thanks so much everyone for your detailed and informative responses - I had no idea what it was! Truth is, I actually quite like it, and although I didn't know where it came from (it just appeared one day, and I hadn't bought any plants for fish recently), I was quite excited as I thought it looked nice. It has spread prolifically but I just scooped a whole load out last night and I'm sure it'll grow again (as a weed would!!). So I'll elect to keep it - I think my concern was more if it was harmful, and now that I know it's not, I'm happy to keep it and will just manage it's volume...
Just be careful to dispose of it sensibly...a local stream or river is bad, a compost heap is good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back