Is this a worm on my GBR?

Mjmj02

Reaction score
Hey so I recently saw these white worm looking things on my gbr. She’s acting normal, not scratching, but this is really concerning to me because there are 4 of them on her and I don’t know how they got in my tank. None of the other fish have them as I can see. Are they harmful? What are they? How do I get rid of them? Thank you.

Attachments

• 57A86D25-ACFA-4BBE-801D-DABFF5566C26.jpeg
    57A86D25-ACFA-4BBE-801D-DABFF5566C26.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 131
I would quarantine her until we know what's going on, don't want to get other fish infected
My quarentine tank currently has new fish in it. This morning I saw that the male, too had the worms on him. I have one other fish in the tank, so might as well quarentine together I assume. Does anyone know what this could be? I am having a hard time figuring identifying what they are and I want to get rid of them.

Looks like some kind of ectoparasite.

Treat with Paraguard, follow the directions and treat the full 2 weeks.

It's fairly mild, but effective with parasites...won't harm the other fish in the tank.

My quarentine tank currently has new fish in it. This morning I saw that the male, too had the worms on him. I have one other fish in the tank, so might as well quarentine together I assume. Does anyone know what this could be? I am having a hard time figuring identifying what they are and I want to get rid of them.
In that case, yes treat the whole tank. General Cure is another option when it comes to parasites.

Looks like some kind of ectoparasite.

Treat with Paraguard, follow the directions and treat the full 2 weeks.

It's fairly mild, but effective with parasites...won't harm the other fish in the tank.
Thank you! I will get the ParaGuard. I will let you know if I have any questions.

One final note, make sure that the treatment will not harm your plants. Some treatments do.
Okay thank you! I didn’t even think of that. I will look at the effects of paraguard before using.

It may, but I have never used it so I'm not sure it will. A good parasite medication is General Cure which treats a wide variety of parasites. It has worked for me with more internal parasites but it may work for you too. I would be careful when using it because I believe that one of the ingredients may cause health issues if taken in, so be careful when using and wash your hands well once you are done.

That looks to be Dermosporidia, which needs no treatment. It's a type of opisthokont that will eventually rupture and release spores. What I've read about it suggests that it shouldn't infect other healthy fish and those that have it once develop an immunity to it

That looks to be Dermosporidia, which needs no treatment. It's a type of opisthokont that will eventually rupture and release spores. What I've read about it suggests that it shouldn't infect other healthy fish and those that have it once develop an immunity to it

It does look like Dermosporidia. Thank you so much for letting me know. It did spread to my other ram though. But I haven't seen anything on my gourami yet. I will keep an eye out. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Back