Is This A Mouse Or A Rat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a health hazard too...mice carry chlamydia and syphilis, don't they??? :unsure:

My Betty the Boa would need about 10 of the mice to fill her up anyway!! she has large rats about 200g in weight!! she;ll be on rabbits by the end of the yr probably

In Australia we have live catching traps can usually get them from pet shops or livestock feed barns and these work great
good.gif
The mice (or if you get a rat one) get in but can't get out. And once one mouse goes in others always follow, I never wash the trap beause it has all the lovely (
sick.gif
) mouse urnine smells and once you've emptied one lot more still keep getting in. If you can find a live catching trap I would get a wire mesh one (usually made from mouse/snake mesh) because I have had the mice start chewing their way out of a plastic one
sneaky2.gif
. Once you have the mice trapped you can do what you like with them release (uaually a waste of time they often find their way back) drown them in the trap (not very plesant), or have some handy terriers nearby that are the quickest killers around. Rather than just baiting the live trap with food you could bait it with poison that way they die in the trap instead of all over the place, provided the poison isn't one of the ones that make the pest need water. Personally I hate poison its a horrid death having all your internal organs bleed out or the blood coagulate inside or have the red and white blood cells seperate. Then there is the ecological impact if any wildlife come across the dying pest and eat it poisoning themselves as well.
I can upload some pics of a livetrap later if you would like, they are easy to make.
And I do have a cat but she thinks all mice she catches need to be played with and ultimately let go to live out their lives in the house
shout.gif
. Also in Aus mice/rats bring dreaded Eastern Brown snakes around and these are deadly so always best to keep mice numbers down.

cheers for the offer Baccuss but I thinkwe may have resolved our situation. I;ve been trapping with my traps and the poison the local council put down seems to have done the trick as I;ve heard nothing for about 3 days

cheers for the offer Baccuss but I thinkwe may have resolved our situation. I;ve been trapping with my traps and the poison the local council put down seems to have done the trick as I;ve heard nothing for about 3 days

Just thought I would put up the pics of the live trap anyway for future reference.....

A set trap
P1020585.jpg

The trap opened
P1020586.jpg

I have seen 10 mice get into this sized trap at once (during a mouse plague) and more kept trying to get in.

funny enough I do have snakes, its a boa constrictor in my sons bedroom,

In the UK I won;t get a snake problem

cheers Simon :rolleyes:

:lol: Maybe he/she would like some live food...

Liz

While the sentiments are nice, it's not worth the risk to the snake. There's always the risk that the mouse will bite the snake and damage them, and exotic pet vet bills are NOT pleasant! :crazy:

I was joking...

Yes I suspected you would be :) but you can never be too sure, especially over the internet. There's some nasty people out there :no: and some clueless ones too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back