Is this a Malaysian trumpet snail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have found these snails and I was wondering what they are and if they are good?

Attachments

• IMG20211223235315.jpg
    IMG20211223235315.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 38
Yup.

They'll aerate your substrate, eat most available organic matter as detrivores, and will only overpopulate your tank if there's excess food to drive population growth.

They'll aerate your substrate, eat most available organic matter as detrivores, and will only overpopulate your tank if there's excess food to drive population growth.

they breed out of control and get into your filter and spread to all you tanks. Kill them, kill them all now.

DEATH TO THE SNAILS
:pop2:

:beer:

Indeed. I once had an infested tank. Tried everything including removing 50 a day but still made no impression after a month. Eventually I added some Botia loaches (not specifically to eat the snails) and over the course of several months they ate all the snails. I didn't actually see them for most of that time as they didn't need to come out for food and I thought they had died!

I didn't actually see them for most of that time as they didn't need to come out for food and I thought they had died!
They are nocturnal and come out after the lights go off. Without predators in the tank, they simply breed and eventually you end up with thousands in the tank.

One of the places I worked at had them in their tanks. The snails had been there so long, half the substrate in each tank was dead snail shells from the snails that had grown up, bred and died in the tank. Every day there were baby snails all over the surface, plants and ornaments and the bigger ones hid in the gravel. They were awful bloody things. Some people like them, some hate them. I hate them with a passion.

I have them in my 10G tank, which is only fed every 2 or 3 days, and they STILL breed like mad....like @Colin_T , I abhor the little devils

To be honest I think MTS are great snails.
They keep sand open, feed on leftover food and detritus. They don't harm anything in the tank.

You didn't have to get rid of the picture.

I managed to get a shot of my hand at the start of a change just before I dropped the camera.

DSCN1335-a.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back