FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DarkAngel394

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Please note I am an absolute beginner when it comes to fishkeeping.
I'm thinking of what size tank I should get and what fish I should get, my water hardiness is soft (33-51ppm). I've done quite a bit of research and have been looking at ideas of fish stocking for community fish so I can figure out what size tank I should get- I've been looking at this Community Fish_A Guide (aquariumindustries.com.au) is it accurate? 50L seems pretty small for that amount of fish.

I was thinking of getting a 182L (48 gallon) tank. would this set up work?

10 tetra
10 guppies
5 corydora.

Any other suggestions for stocking would be awesome!

TIA!!!

In terms of fish numbers and their sizes, that stocking would be very understocked. But you have a mixture of hard water fish (guppies) and soft water fish (tetras and corydoras) With your water being very soft, guppies would not do well.

In a 48 gallon/182 litre tank, you could have two three species of shoaling fish with 12+ of each. That includes cories, provided there is sand on the bottom of the tank. Or swap one shoaling species for a group of 3 or 4 gouramis, for example.

Looking at your link, the main thing I notice is that there are too many species of shoaling fish in insufficient numbers. In their suggestions, it would be better to have fewer species but more of them. It is usually said that 6 is the minimum number for shoaling fish but more is always better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back