Is this a Betta?? I want to help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good to know. I'm sure his current owner has no clue about any of this, based solely on his current tank size and decor. There's a way I can slightly soften my water right? Tannis? How does that work?
I saw this article a few weeks ago. Not sure if it works though :)

Good to know. I'm sure his current owner has no clue about any of this, based solely on his current tank size and decor. There's a way I can slightly soften my water right? Tannis? How does that work?
when it comes to tannis I use driftwood Without letting it sit in a separate tank. or sometimes I use kapatta leaves. and I'm positive it does soften water.

here's my two cents, you currently have a ph that is way too high, I also have basic, hard water. you might want to look at a blackwater setup. a blackwater aquarium works on one fairly simple premise, filling the tank with as many tannin producing objects as possible; leaf litter, driftwood, etc. that may lower the ph to acceptable levels. it also benefits the fish, creating as close to the natural environment as possible, and tannins may have a benefit to your fish's immune system. hope with was helpful 🙂

Alright. I’ve found a new 20g long tank for $25 dollars, which isn’t that expensive where I live. Suggestions on filters and heaters that won’t break a teenagers budget? I’ve got Petsmart,
Petco, and a couple of LFS around, plus anything online that doesn’t have outrageous shipping.

Alright. I’ve found a new 20g long tank for $25 dollars, which isn’t that expensive where I live. Suggestions on filters and heaters that won’t break a teenagers budget? I’ve got Petsmart,
Petco, and a couple of LFS around, plus anything online that doesn’t have outrageous shipping.
I’m also looking at water softening pillows that go in my filter to help with the high pH.

The eheim 100w heater would be good for that size tank. Last I checked it was about 20 bucks.
Aquaclear is a good brand for filters. I got one for my 20g for 30 dollars. You could go cheaper and get a quietflow.
Amazon has good prices if you have prime

If I end up getting him, will he be ok in the small tank while the 20g cycles? I don't really have any additional media from my other tanks to speed it up, but I'll probably be looking at plants.

Be careful with water softening pillows. May of them are recharged by soaking in salt water and they swap hardness minerals for sodium, which is not good for fish. Before buying, I suggest checking if they are recharged this way.

Be careful with water softening pillows. May of them are recharged by soaking in salt water and they swap hardness minerals for sodium, which is not good for fish. Before buying, I suggest checking if they are recharged this way.
ok I will, thank you. What do you suggest if not pillows? I’m not sure I want a black water tank quite yet.

If you have soft water, wood should help lower the pH. But if the water is hard, the best way to reduce hardness is mixing it with RO water or some other pure water. Lowering the hardness this way and particularly KH should allow the pH to drop as well.

Could use the gallon jug distilled water. They have a PH of 7 but it might be unrealistic with how high your PH is you'll probably need a lot. I'm not sure on the math but I would guess around 10 gallons of distilled should lower it enough, although someone else might have a better idea

If you have soft water, wood should help lower the pH. But if the water is hard, the best way to reduce hardness is mixing it with RO water or some other pure water. Lowering the hardness this way and particularly KH should allow the pH to drop as well.
My water hardness is 135 ppm. How much is RO water usually and around how much would I have to buy at a time if I do 25-40% water changes every week to a week and a half for a 20g long tank?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back