Is there something wrong with my fish, or is he just crazy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I got my first betta a week ago. When I first put him in his tank, he swam around and explored his new home. For the past few days though, he has been swimming back and forth at the back of the tank.
I thought maybe he saw his reflection, so I tried covering half of the tank with a towel, but nothing changed. He does take a few breaks every now and then, but he quickly goes right back to swimming back and forth. He isn't flaring or anything, just pacing.
He looks nice and healthy. He swims up and greets me every time I walk into the room. He eats really well too. He was in quite a small bowl when I got him, and now he is in a large 5 gallon tank. Could he just need some time to adjust to his new home?
Or could it be that the filter is too strong? It has an adjustable flow and I have it on it's lowest setting. I can also choose where the flow goes, and I have it pointed at a tank wall to slow down the flow. He also doesn't seem to have any trouble swimming.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

Are your parameters ok? He may be bored. Try giving him a bright colored ping pong ball or something to play with. Good luck!

I suggest you buy albino tetras AKA cherry barbs. he will chase them thinking they are enemies but the are to quick for a fish like betta.[buy a healthy and happy albino tetra.]

Buying fish just so another one can chase them is cruelty. It is very stressful for fish to live their lives in fear of another fish.

And buying just one tetra is also cruel as tetras are shoaling fish which ned company of their own kind.

Are your parameters ok? He may be bored. Try giving him a bright colored ping pong ball or something to play with. Good luck!

I was worried he might be bored. I have been trying to entertain him as much as possible, but I can't be with him all day long.
I have been training him to do tricks because I thought maybe that would make him happier. He seems to enjoy his training, but I can't train him all day.
I will try getting a little ball for him. Maybe that will help him.
I will also get more plants for him. His tank is a little sparse at the moment. Could that be contributing to his boredom?
Thanks!

I would definitely get more plants, and/or smooth pieces of holey wood for him to swim through. I have given up trying to grow live plants in my betta's tank - the java fern manages OK but everything else dies :oops: - so I have tall silk plants to give him something to swim through.

Ok. I will make buying a ping pong ball and more plants my fish keeping mission for the week. Thank you!:)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back