image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 17
Basically the water is starting to bypass the filter a bit. If I leave a lighter stream as you can see in one of the photos then it still trickles through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 12
Those filter cartridges look like carbon packs, not true cartridges...anything else in the filter?

The manufacturers will ALWAYS tell you to "replace when clogged", to make more $$...but if you use the right media, it won't need replacing, ever...replacing cartridges = loss of BB (beneficial bacteria)

Those filter cartridges look like carbon packs, not true cartridges...anything else in the filter?

The manufacturers will ALWAYS tell you to "replace when clogged", to make more $$...but if you use the right media, it won't need replacing, ever...replacing cartridges = loss of BB (beneficial bacteria)
Yes I think you’re right. No nothing else in the filter.
Yes I’m learning a lot from this forum. Just like Petco and Petsmart both told me to take the Beta straight home and sold me the 5 gallon tank without telling me anything about cycling.

Yes I think you’re right. No nothing else in the filter.
Yes I’m learning a lot from this forum. Just like Petco and Petsmart both told me to take the Beta straight home and sold me the 5 gallon tank without telling me anything about cycling.
NEVER trust what shop employees tell you...they are there to make $$$, not give good advice...most of the the time, they haven't a clue, anyway

Carbon packs aren't even real media, and they are not needed in your filter..but for now it's all you have...I'd advise getting some real media, and replacing those carbon packs...but not while the tank is cycling

In the meantime, can you rearrange the carbon packs a bit, to increase the flow? You can even take one or two out, and place them directly into the tank, you won't lose any BB by doing so

NEVER trust what shop employees tell you...they are there to make $$$, not give good advice...most of the the time, they haven't a clue, anyway

Carbon packs aren't even real media, and they are not needed in your filter..but for now it's all you have...I'd advise getting some real media, and replacing those carbon packs...but not while the tank is cycling

In the meantime, can you rearrange the carbon packs a bit, to increase the flow? You can even take one or two out, and place them directly into the tank, you won't lose any BB by doing so
Yes. I can rearrange it to make it work, but just wondering how to get this tank going with a cycle. This poor little guy. He seems happy enough but I’d love to see him flourish. 🤞🏼 anything else I should be doing? Also, any recommendations on real media for this tank? Sorry if I sound ignorant, still learning…

Yes. I can rearrange it to make it work, but just wondering how to get this tank going with a cycle. This poor little guy. He seems happy enough but I’d love to see him flourish. 🤞🏼 anything else I should be doing? Also, any recommendations on real media for this tank? Sorry if I sound ignorant, still learning…
I haven't gone back and reread the whole thread...do you have a liquid test kit, and a good quality water conditioner?

You'll get lots of different opinions on filter media, but I like these: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...943bb51491131deb3c42d61ad49e8fd1&gclsrc=3p.ds

Bag them up in nylon mesh bags, makes rinsing them a breeze...wish you were closer, I have lots of extra already bagged I'd give you

If you have an external power filter, get a round/ cylindrical sponge for an internal power filter. The cylindrical sponges have a hole through the middle and they fit on the intake strainer of most external power filters.

You can also buy sponge for another brand of filter and put that in the filter with your current media/ material. Leave it for a month and then get rid of the filter pad.

Your filter pad might have Zeolite (white granules) and carbon (black granules) in. If it has Zeolite in the filter pad, that will stop the filter from cycling.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back