Is There Anything Wrong With Running Two Pumps On A Sump?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishwarrior

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
One pump would be in the tank and act as an overflow moving the water to the sump below with another pump in the sump to move water back to the tank.  Both are mag 950 pumps.  I just hate oveflow boxes and all overflows in general.  Right now I'm using an Eshopps 1200 overflow box, want to get rid of it.

I would give thought to the implications of what would happen if either the pump in the sump failed or the one in the tank failed independently of each other?

Unlikely to work. One or other pump would sludge up slightly and slow down, then something would overflow.

You could probably do something with float switches, but there's a lot to go wrong.

What's wrong with an overflow?

My 2 cents, that if you have fan speed monitors on your PC, no two same motors run identical or the same speed , not for a millisecond.

I was also thinking if I had both pumps in the sump, one drawing water out and the other putting it back in, guess it will be more trouble than it's worth.  Time for plan B. going to build me a skippy filter using either a 5 gallon bucket or a water barrel.

Most reactions

Back