Is there any type of freshwater goby that doesn’t need a heavy flow?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raven McAdams

Reaction score
I honestly had no idea which forum to post this under, sorry. I just upgraded my tank to a 20g long and I REALLY wanted a pair of gobies, but the more research I do, the less it’s looking good for me. I will have a betta in the tank which is my biggest problem because most gobies like fast flowing alkaline water. My tank is planted and I even made it a quarter sandy habitat for a goby. Is there any way I can make this work, or will I have to live without my gobies :(

Hello, and welcome to the forum!! :hi:

Bettas and gobbies really don't live well together., because gobbies tend to be aggressive. A species only tank is recommended, I think you could put about 10-12 in a 20g tank, if you wanted that many. A black water tank is key to keeping gobbies. I would recommend getting bumble bee gobbies, because of their cool colors, and nice personalities. The appreciate live food, but have learned to take flake, or pellet foods.

Just make sure to get at least 4 when you start out, because they live in big groups in the wild.

I hope this helps! :)

(Please consider entering the August "FOTM" contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, thanks!) :thanks:

If you upgraded to the 20g, do you still have your old tank? You could use the 20g for gobies and the old one for your Betta?? As you said, they have different needs. Check your parameters to provide for the different tanks. Add crushed coral to the 20g if needed.
For the gobies provide lots of cover and hiding places, get at least six. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back