IS there ANY food that stays at the top or middle?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Socrates

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I keep buying different food for "top or middle feeders".

All of it sinks to the bottom pretty fast.

What the heck?

I'm tired of watching Rummy's rooting around in the rocks for their lunch.

I got Bio-Blend Tropical yesterday figuring maybe it's little pellets would be better than the flakes at staying up a while. The stuff is like sinking pellets. IT goes straight to the bottom. Worse than that, none of the fish even like it. Some of them catch the pellets in their mouths but can't swallow them so they just let go of them.

Flakes will stay up there a few seconds but they sink too quick too. By the time fish notice them, the stuff is on the floor.

Now a cube of tubifex will float, and so will freeze dried blood worms. But the blood worms are just too big for most of my fish and the tubifex is completely ignored unless I crumble it up.

there are a few brands of flakes and pellets that claim to be slow to sink. i've never actually tried, as i use top fin flakes, some float, some sink right away, but since i have both top and bottom feeders it hasn't been a concern. maybe you could scour the shelves at the lfs and see whats there......................

For surface food, you could try one of those feeder bowls/things! you fill them with blood worm they stick to the side of your tank, any position. (with a sucker) sorry if im not making much sense!

basically they have holes in em so fish can get to the food when and if they want it..

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!! :crazy:

i've seen something like those.................. not sure what they were called though

They have specialized food, that are called floating pellets. They stay afloat untill they are eaten. Also, what i do is turn off my filter when feeding and this helps to get the flakes to stay afloat

Nina's advice sounds good. Most floating flakes/pellets will float on calm water for a good while.

I wish i had fish that didn't sink to the bottom! The killi and the swords are royal pains when I throw in an algae wafer and shrimp pellets at night. Occaisionally a black tetra will stuff a whole shrimp pellet in his mouth ... poor cories.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back