is there any easy ways to add sand into a tank with fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SAChichlidLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
as most of you probably already know I recently got a new geophagus but my substrate isnā€™t the best for him because itā€™s actually gravel so does anybody know any easy ways to add sand to aquariums with fish in already? I want to mix the sand and gravel to give a natural pebbly substrate look and to make sifting a lot easier for my fish :)

Agree with above :)

I'd totally remove all the gravel, most Geos come from absolute pristine sand envrionments. If they get a single bit of gravel in the gills its a major problem, between the Stiendachnari and the Threadfins I think its probably the right time to make the change.

Wills

Hey everyone,
as most of you probably already know I recently got a new geophagus but my substrate isnā€™t the best for him because itā€™s actually gravel so does anybody know any easy ways to add sand to aquariums with fish in already? I want to mix the sand and gravel to give a natural pebbly substrate look and to make sifting a lot easier for my fish :)
This is where large tanks gives an advantage . I normally use mineral bottle put in the sand and slowly lower it to the tank. Releasing to the tank (ensure the bother at the bottom of the tanks) ever slowly so that it wont cloudy the water and make a mess.

Wont recommend if tank is small thus stressing the fish.

i would waterlog the sand, scoop the fish into a qt tank and wait for particulates in the water to settle, put it back in there

You're best off just temporarily removing the fish into some buckets. Messing about with substrate is pretty stressful for them and you!
Net them, get your tank sorted and throw em back in ??
I will do! Thanks so much for the advice, I keep reading all sorts of different things to do so I thought itā€™s better off to just find out from everyone on here lol :)

Agree with above :)

I'd totally remove all the gravel, most Geos come from absolute pristine sand envrionments. If they get a single bit of gravel in the gills its a major problem, between the Stiendachnari and the Threadfins I think its probably the right time to make the change.

Wills
I totally agree with you, I donā€™t want to cause them any pains as they do try sifting the gravel bless them but luckily they spit it out and donā€™t actually try using their gills which is lucky but one day they probably will end up doing that so itā€™s definitely the best thing to do :) Is there any good natural looking riverbed sands out there? All I can find is sea sands and others which I donā€™t really trust are for aquariums.

This is where large tanks gives an advantage . I normally use mineral bottle put in the sand and slowly lower it to the tank. Releasing to the tank (ensure the bother at the bottom of the tanks) ever slowly so that it wont cloudy the water and make a mess.

Wont recommend if tank is small thus stressing the fish.
Luckily the tank is quite big (80gallons) thatā€™s actually a good idea putting it in a bottle! My only problem would be my cannister filters intake bringing up half the sand haha! Iā€™ll probably have to buy some rocks and glue them together to surround the intake or something :)

I just changed both my tanks to sand yesterday. I'm getting some pygmy corydoras and read that they need sand not gravel. I removed the decor, heater, filter and put my female bettas in a smaller tank (left the neon tetras, and Loaches since they are hard to catch). Then I started removing the gravel with my hand, rinsed the aquarium sand (I bought Super Natural Premium Aquarium Substrate) and added it slowly sort of. Although I realized a kuhli loach was hiding in my cave and I saw it squirming on my table, picked it up and put it in the tank, hardy guys! I wish I had done this sooner for my Kuhli Loaches sake, you don't know what you don't know ??
Suddenly my hidden for months Loaches came out! Nothing has died yet so I guess I'm good ??

Attachments

• 20210414_053237.jpg
    20210414_053237.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210414_053309.jpg
    20210414_053309.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210414_053513.jpg
    20210414_053513.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210414_053438.jpg
    20210414_053438.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 35
i would waterlog the sand, scoop the fish into a qt tank and wait for particulates in the water to settle, put it back in there
Good idea thank you, Unfortunately I donā€™t have a large enough qt tank for some of the fish that are in there :( This is where Iā€™m a bit stuck as I donā€™t know how theyā€™d react to buckets either with the size of my severums, synodontis and one of my threadfins.. Pretty tough unless I got a divider and did half the tank at a time shifting the fish into the new half when itā€™s finished?

I just changed both my tanks to sand yesterday. I'm getting some pygmy corydoras and read that they need sand not gravel. I removed the decor, heater, filter and put my female bettas in a smaller tank (left the neon tetras, and Loaches since they are hard to catch). Then I started removing the gravel with my hand, rinsed the aquarium sand (I bought Super Natural Premium Aquarium Substrate) and added it slowly sort of. Although I realized a kuhli loach was hiding in my cave and I saw it squirming on my table, picked it up and put it in the tank, hardy guys! I wish I had done this sooner for my Kuhli Loaches sake, you don't know what you don't know ??
Suddenly my hidden for months Loaches came out! Nothing has died yet so I guess I'm good ??
Love the tank! Glad to know your little kuhli loach is okay haha!

I totally agree with you, I donā€™t want to cause them any pains as they do try sifting the gravel bless them but luckily they spit it out and donā€™t actually try using their gills which is lucky but one day they probably will end up doing that so itā€™s definitely the best thing to do :) Is there any good natural looking riverbed sands out there? All I can find is sea sands and others which I donā€™t really trust are for aquariums.
Find a non toxic play sand usually pretty cheap and the best thing for them Iā€™ll try and dig a video out for you that I found interesting. I always thought there is no was it was just pure soft sand must be a mix but no it is literally a sand pit. I think Iā€™ve used Argos play sand before but that was a while ago.

Wills

Like everyone else has already said, might just be better to scoop all the fish out into a bucket. Drain the tank, dump out the gravel, wash the sand, e.c.t, e.c.t. It's a big upheaval and hurts all over the next day if you're particularly short, but it looks great when it's done and it puts you at ease knowing it'll be better for your fish.

I too have wanted to add more sand, but ...
How?, without draining tank or removing the fish.
I ended up using a long neck funnel,

long neck funnel.jpg
Just remember to rinse the sand thoroughly and let dry first.
Easy, in fact I just used this method a few weeks ago when adding more sand to my African build.
Worked for me.
Good Luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back