Is there a way to reverse siphon- using it to add water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Actually it's easy. You don't need the siphon to refill your tank with water.

Just buy a long hose that is long enough to connect your tap to your tank where you can fill your tank with water directly.
You will also have to buy a hose tap connector to connect the hose to the tap.

Even if you buy a Python water changer or any other brand water changer, you have to ensure that the hose to tap connector can be used for your tap. If not, I see it will be a waste of money.

Also, make sure that the hose diameter is suitable to connect to the tap.

Just search the internets and youtube and you will get plenty of ideas.
If you are still unsure, show us a photo of your tap and we can guide you from there.

Last edited:
I know that siphoning removes water and cleans out waste from under the gravel. But in water change, you have to replace the water. However, I haven't gotten it to flow the opposite way. With a bucket of clean water, I placed the siphon in headfirst and the plastic pipe end into the tank. I tried starting the siphon the usual way- bring it out of water and put it back in once the water drains. It didn't work. I would have bubbles coming out from the tank end each time I tried to start, but that was the furthest I got. I tried to hold the bucket above the tank (there isn't any surface I could put it that would be above the tank, so I had to just hold.) No luck. In the end I gave up and did what I normally do- just pour in the water from the bucket directly into the tank.
OH NO!!!!! You MUST get this! I have a 50 ft that attaches to my kitchen sink. It takes 20 mins to siphon and refill my 30 gallon!

I know that siphoning removes water and cleans out waste from under the gravel. But in water change, you have to replace the water. However, I haven't gotten it to flow the opposite way. With a bucket of clean water, I placed the siphon in headfirst and the plastic pipe end into the tank. I tried starting the siphon the usual way- bring it out of water and put it back in once the water drains. It didn't work. I would have bubbles coming out from the tank end each time I tried to start, but that was the furthest I got. I tried to hold the bucket above the tank (there isn't any surface I could put it that would be above the tank, so I had to just hold.) No luck. In the end I gave up and did what I normally do- just pour in the water from the bucket directly into the tankcheck.
Just get a Python water changer...use to fill AND empty tanks...it doesn't need to be complicated
I agree. I’ve used a python for years. So easy to drain & refill.

I know that siphoning removes water and cleans out waste from under the gravel. But in water change, you have to replace the water. However, I haven't gotten it to flow the opposite way. With a bucket of clean water, I placed the siphon in headfirst and the plastic pipe end into the tank. I tried starting the siphon the usual way- bring it out of water and put it back in once the water drains. It didn't work. I would have bubbles coming out from the tank end each time I tried to start, but that was the furthest I got. I tried to hold the bucket above the tank (there isn't any surface I could put it that would be above the tank, so I had to just hold.) No luck. In the end I gave up and did what I normally do- just pour in the water from the bucket directly into the tank.
Use a python water changing system avail st chew 54 bucks. Way faster. Dont forget to add water conditioner

Python water changer

OH NO!!!!! You MUST get this! I have a 50 ft that attaches to my kitchen sink. It takes 20 mins to siphon and refill my 30 gallon!

I don't want another siphon; I have a smaller one cause it's easy storage.

Why do you need to siphon the water back in? I put the bucket of new water on a stool and ladle the water into the tank with a jug. I have two old towels, one goes across the gap between the stool and the tank to catch any drips of water off the bottom of the jug, and one draped over the edge of the tank to stop water running down the side of the tank.

I tried this the other day. I put the bucket on a chair with a couple of milk crates on it so that it was higher than the tank.
It worked. But the problem was that it took a really long time. The flow for my gravel vaccuum isn't that fast. Which is probably a good thing because I don't want to suck up the sand and drain the entire tank when I vacuum or do a water change. I ended up losing patience and just went back to pouring water into the tank on a plate.

Why do you need to siphon the water back in? I put the bucket of new water on a stool and ladle the water into the tank with a jug. I have two old towels, one goes across the gap between the stool and the tank to catch any drips of water off the bottom of the jug, and one draped over the edge of the tank to stop water running down the side of the tank.
Because then I have to continuously pour and refill in small amounts. With a siphon that process would be automatic. Technically then I wouldn't even need a siphon, by your method I could just remove water with a ladle too.

No you can't ladle water out at that doesn't remove the debris off the bottom of the tank.

I do water changes on a 180 litre/48 gallon, using 12 x 2 gallon buckets to refill by ladling the water out with a jug. I can't siphon it in because there's no way I can lift a bucket high enough.

[And no, I can't use a python. The old water goes down the sink, which is not allowed as it "is full of bacteria" and I can't use hot tap water to warm the new water because of the way our hot water is made]

No you can't ladle water out at that doesn't remove the debris off the bottom of the tank.

I do water changes on a 180 litre/48 gallon, using 12 x 2 gallon buckets to refill by ladling the water out with a jug. I can't siphon it in because there's no way I can lift a bucket high enough.

[And no, I can't use a python. The old water goes down the sink, which is not allowed as it "is full of bacteria" and I can't use hot tap water to warm the new water because of the way our hot water is made]
How is your hot water made that makes it unusable in the aquarium?

The boiler heats water which then flows through tubing inside a tank of water and heats the tank water. As hot water is taken from the tank, cold water flows from a cold water tank in the attic to replace the hot water. This tank in the attic is the problem. There could be anything get in there, even with a cover. It is why water from the hot tank should not be used for cooking, and in homes where the upstairs cold water is fed from this tank you shouldn't even use the cold water for cleaning your teeth. Luckily in all the houses we've had, the upstairs cold water was fed from the water main. If it's not safe for human consumption, I won't use it in a fish tank.
Many homes in the UK have combi-boilers where the hot water is made on demand from mains water. With this type, it is safe to use water from the hot tap.

Back to how to siphon water from a bucket into a tank........

The boiler heats water which then flows through tubing inside a tank of water and heats the tank water. As hot water is taken from the tank, cold water flows from a cold water tank in the attic to replace the hot water. This tank in the attic is the problem. There could be anything get in there, even with a cover. It is why water from the hot tank should not be used for cooking, and in homes where the upstairs cold water is fed from this tank you shouldn't even use the cold water for cleaning your teeth. Luckily in all the houses we've had, the upstairs cold water was fed from the water main. If it's not safe for human consumption, I won't use it in a fish tank.
Many homes in the UK have combi-boilers where the hot water is made on demand from mains water. With this type, it is safe to use water from the hot tap.

Back to how to siphon water from a bucket into a tank........
Not to keep the train from teetering on the track, but another reason not to use hot water for fish or human consumption is that some older homes have lead based solder joints which are generally safe (if pH is not low) but temperature increases the leaching of lead compounds if they are present.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back