Is there a shortage of suppliers in tropical fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tiana715

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the hobby and finding it hard to find available tropical fish on various websites, such as; Discuss & Freshwater Angel.

Is there a shortage or is it the wrong time of year or I'm just not looking hard enough?

Thanks.

In New Zealand we have plenty of fish available, look for sites that local breeders advertise on rather than Commercial businesses.

I always look locally it’s amazing how many people are breeding fish , it’s hard when first starting as it is pretty much a community and knowing about local fish to buy is kind of invitation only but once your involved in a local community it’s a lot easier to get fish than actually order them or even go to fish stores , also benefit of buying locally is the fish are used to your water already as it’s probably the same if not very close , iv never noticed fish being a seasonal thing there available all the time here in the uk and with the better weather you have over there I’d of guessed you would possibly have even more variety of fish available to buy

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Yes there is a shortage on aquarium fishes. This is due to covid19 reducing the fish farmer's ability to get to towns and sell fish to suppliers, and due to aircraft being grounded.

A lot of aquarium fish come from Indonesia and they are in lock down and have been pretty much since covid started. The fish farmers aren't allowed into town, and the wholesalers in towns are locked down. So there aren't many fish getting to town or being flown around the world. Fish are still being produced and exported, just not as many as normal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back