Is the python actually worth it?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
I took the shut off valve off the python as I didnā€™t see the point of it really.
For getting the temperature correct simply run the tap water through the python connection for a minute,judging the temp as closely as you can,stick a thermometer in a basin checking the temp as the basin fills.Adjust taps til itā€™s spot on the same temp as the tank water then close the bit that pushes up and allow the tank to fill.
I get a pretty accurate temp doing it that way.
I find the shutoff useful to ensure I only need to keep the feed end high to keep it from draining on the floor whilst I walk it out the door to drain and coil. If you are a perfectionist, it also performs an anti-siphon function when hooked up to the water supply, after you shut off the supply due to an interrupt - Though I don't think that would ever be an issue.

I find the shutoff useful to ensure I only need to keep the feed end high to keep it from draining on the floor whilst I walk it out the door to drain and coil. If you are a perfectionist, it also performs an anti-siphon function when hooked up to the water supply, after you shut off the supply due to an interrupt - Though I don't think that would ever be an issue.
Yes I get where you are coming from oblio in that sense.

This is a handy connection if thereā€™s ever a worry that the python falls from the tank when filling.
8AD73B48-3F6C-4C85-B5B6-218F466F5204.jpeg

Put the python hose into the c-cup and stick it to outside glass.

"I'm willing to keep it but just wanted to let you know."

Yeah that sort of email says you lot gave me the big hose and I'm keeping it so blurrr :p

What you should have written is:
"Hi, I just received the Python gravel cleaner. I ordered the 25 foot version but got the 50 foot version. Do you want me to send it back so you can send me the 25 ft one?"

Then you would either get a response of yes ok, here is a shipment number. Just put it on the item and send it back. Or, Thank you for informing us of the error. Please keep the 50 foot model as a gesture of good will.
What I meant was that I'm not mad that I got the longer version. I could have written what you suggested but I think the response would have been the same :)

I took the shut off valve off the python as I didnā€™t see the point of it really.
For getting the temperature correct simply run the tap water through the python connection for a minute,judging the temp as closely as you can,stick a thermometer in a basin checking the temp as the basin fills.Adjust taps til itā€™s spot on the same temp as the tank water then close the bit that pushes up and allow the tank to fill.
I get a pretty accurate temp doing it that way.
Fish wonā€™t just die because of a temperature change unless itā€™s extreme.If that was the case then there would be dead fish floating down rivers or in lakes all the time,and trust me ponds and rivers can have extreme temperature changes almost instantly.
Cold water sinks,so if your fish are usually near or on the bottom,but after a water change are mid water then the water was too cold and if it was too hot then they will do the opposite by swimming near the bottom.
Fish donā€™t mind temperature changes and will simply change swimming depth accordingly.
In Nature, fish can swim as far away as they want to to reach temps that are comfortable for them; in our tanks, they cannot.

Water temperature: Because the partial pressure of a gas changes with temperature, sudden changes in water temperature can cause bubbles to form. This is most common when water is added to your system that is significantly warmer or cooler than the current water temperature. Unless you are intentionally changing the temperature in your aquarium, it is critical to always test the water temperature before changes. Match the new water to the current temperature. If you need to adjust your tank or pond temperature, go slowly to avoid stressing the fish.

Source: https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-treat-gas-bubble-disease-in-freshwater-fish-5074238

Water temperature: Because the partial pressure of a gas changes with temperature, sudden changes in water temperature can cause bubbles to form. This is most common when water is added to your system that is significantly warmer or cooler than the current water temperature. Unless you are intentionally changing the temperature in your aquarium, it is critical to always test the water temperature before changes. Match the new water to the current temperature. If you need to adjust your tank or pond temperature, go slowly to avoid stressing the fish.

Source: https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-treat-gas-bubble-disease-in-freshwater-fish-5074238
I let my garden hose run for a about 3 minutes and then use it to fill my tank... It drops the temp about 3-5 degrees but my fish have never had an issue

In Nature, fish can swim as far away as they want to to reach temps that are comfortable for them; in our tanks, they cannot.
Sorry but I have to disagree slaphppy7.
where do freshwater river fish go when thereā€™s an extreme temperature change?They canā€™t head out to sea.
What about garden ponds.Take spring for example,warm sunshine one minute,snow or hail the next causing instant temperature changes.
Fish simply move up or down in the water column and thatā€™s a fact.

where do freshwater river fish go when thereā€™s an extreme temperature change?They canā€™t head out to sea.
What about garden ponds.Take spring for example,warm sunshine one minute,snow or hail the next causing instant temperature changes.
They can simply move up stream towards mountains where it is cooler or go closer to the bottom.

Nature has MUCH bigger water columns than our tanks do...

Sorry but I disagree slaphppy7.
Freshwater river fish canā€™t just head away somewhere when thereā€™s an extreme temperature change,And either can fish in garden ponds,take spring time for example,warm sunshine one day and then snow or hail the next.They donā€™t just die,they adjust their metabolism accordingly and move up or down in the water column.

Engineer here.

Temp changes are not instant. dT/dt (instantaneous rate of Temperate change with respect to time) may be large, but never infinite.

Carry on ...

šŸ‘Øā€šŸ”¬
I would imagine it varies with the medium, correct?

Air, water, different solid masses, etc....

Sorry but I disagree slaphppy7.
Freshwater river fish canā€™t just head away somewhere when thereā€™s an extreme temperature change,And either can fish in garden ponds,take spring time for example,warm sunshine one day and then snow or hail the next.They donā€™t just die,they adjust their metabolism accordingly and move up or down in the water column.
šŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”
You confuse me and a brain cell jumped out to poke my eye

Only coffee can be instant.
If the water temp in the aquarium is 22 and one takes out the fish and adds them into water at 2 degrees then the fish will suffer cold water shock,thatā€™s obvious,but anyone who is dumb enough to do this shouldnā€™t be in control of a party popper never mind a fish tank.
Fish adjust according to water temp and will move up and down in the water column to find the level that they are comfortable with.
A river that has a sudden influx of snowmelt is going to go through an extreme temp change very quickly,but I donā€™t see the fish jumping out the water.Only the weak will succumb

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back